Funeral costs

Grunzle

Sep 7, 2008
Wild Windy Wiltshire
This has probably been done before but....

I have just paid the first instalment of Mums funeral costs myself, but should it have come out of her account ? I have power of Attorney (but I assume that died with her ?).

Also, in her will she has left some money to someone who is dead, does that pass to his heirs ?

Can I do the probate thing myself, or is it just so complicated it would be easier to let her solicitors do it ?

Sorry, she only died a couple of days ago, so my brain isn't working and I have lots of (probably silly) questions, on the one hand trying to organise Mums affairs, and on the other trying to organise Christmas for my family.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I am sorry to hear about your Mum. I would have throughout that the funeral costs should come from her estate, paid by her excetuors, and then anything left is shared according to her will.

Hope this helps.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The Power of Attorney has lapsed.
The funeral costs come out of the estate.

If a beneficiary dies between the time when the Will is made and the death of the testator or testatrix the beneficiary’s estate will generally take no benefit under the will. The gift is said to have lapsed. But there are exceptions to this rule (IHTM12084).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ihtmanual/ihtm12042.htm

Exceptions
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ihtmanual/IHTM12084.htm

Probate is not too complicated, calm down and leave it till after Christmas and then settle down and have a look at what is involved.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Do not pay out any money to heirs until all your mums debts and costs eg funeral expenses and lawyers have been met. What is left over at the end is what can then be shared out.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
And please, make sure you place a statutory notice in the London Gazette to ensure that no debts can come back and bite you in the future as executor.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
And please, make sure you place a statutory notice in the London Gazette to ensure that no debts can come back and bite you in the future as executor.

Totally agree Jennifer, I've just arranged for that notice even though I'm 99.9% certain (as I had POA) that there won 't be any outstanding debts. It's just an insurance policy.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Do not pay out any money to heirs until all your mums debts and costs eg funeral expenses and lawyers have been met. What is left over at the end is what can then be shared out.

I second that. If people know they are beneficiaries and ask you, just politely explain that. If they don't know, there's no need to tell them until you are ready to distribute the estate.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014

I have just paid the first instalment of Mums funeral costs myself, but should it have come out of her account ? I have power of Attorney (but I assume that died with her ?).

Also, in her will she has left some money to someone who is dead, does that pass to his heirs ?

Can I do the probate thing myself, or is it just so complicated it would be easier to let her solicitors do it ?

Sorry, she only died a couple of days ago, so my brain isn't working and I have lots of (probably silly) questions, on the one hand trying to organise Mums affairs, and on the other trying to organise Christmas for my family.

I would check with a solicitor in relation to who are the heirs especially if there is a substantial amount.
There may be children you do not know about or you may wish to check all children are known to you.

Oddly I know somebody and several of thought he only had a son and daughter.

Suddenly we were introduced to another son.

He thought we knew about him but none of us did.

William

Last edited:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think unless the will states if the beneficiary dies it is to be passed to their heirs, the gift lapses.

My Mam specifically stated in her will that each of her six children were beneficiaries and if any of us predeceased her, the money of our equal share was to be split between that person's children.

If you are the executor you are meant to pay all outstanding bills from the estate, that includes the funeral costs.

I agree with Nitram, I would leave all the cogitating until after Christmas.

So sorry you lost your Mum, there is never a good time but it always seems so much more painful at this time of year.

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
A neighbour X bequeathed a substantial sum to Y the lady next-door who died before probate was finalised. The bequest was not allowed to be passed on and was returned to X's estate.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Don't forget that all banks/building societies will release funds to pay for an undertakers funeral bill.

If premium bonds are held the NS&I also will arrange for payment of the funeral bill.

You have to give the invoice to the bank so make a copy before you hand it over, but they will then arrange for the invoice to be paid - you may also need to provide a certified copy of the death certificate and will if there is one.

Grunzle

Sep 7, 2008
Wild Windy Wiltshire
Just had to pay another funeral bill myself, these people don't send invoices, they say give us £xxx now ! and I pay it......................

I am an executor but the only access I have is the POA............

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Just had to pay another funeral bill myself, these people don't send invoices, they say give us £xxx now ! and I pay it......................

I am an executor but the only access I have is the POA............

I don't believe you can use the POA once the person has died to access their funds. We are using a solicitor to manage the probate process; one of the benefits is that the funeral director will simply send the bill to the solicitor and she will negotiate a release of funds from mum's account to pay it. We didn't pay anything upfront, not even the disbursements.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014

Hi Grunzle;

I have just spoken to somebody and his mother died in April 2014.
He phoned about her state pension to get it stopped and the person did ask if there was money in the family to pay for the funeral.
He did have money to pay so he did not take it further but I would imagine there would be some government help.
Thinking about it I was asked the same question when my father died.
As it happened Dad had a funeral plan but I paid for some extras which were not covered as they only amounted to about £500.00.

William

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
When "they" ask for money just say you are unable to pay without an invoice. They are able to raise interim invoices, but choose not to!

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
When "they" ask for money just say you are unable to pay without an invoice. They are able to raise interim invoices, but choose not to!

In some way I can understand funeral directors not wanting to raise invoices immediately.

When my father died I booked the funeral but it took 3 weeks to get the minister together etc.

We knew the funeral director and Dad wanted her to conduct the funeral which added to the complications.

As there was no rush we decided extras like the order of service and the flowers etc later. As it happened we chose mid price on everything.

I settled the bill 2 days before the funeral and got the invoice / receipt a few days later.

Oddly I still see the funeral director at the leisure centre twice a week.

William

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I wonder if he's measuring up William. :D

Hi garnuft

She probably is but as she is in her late 50's hopefully she will not be involved with my funeral.
That said another funeral director within the company stepped out of retirement for a few hours to satisfy a clients requirements.
A few months ago 2 of the people she worked with helped an elderly lady who was unwell and she had fell over.
When she met them again she was astonished they were both funeral directors.
Happily she made a full recovery within a few days.

William

Grunzle

Sep 7, 2008
Wild Windy Wiltshire
The funeral director said they needed half the cost up front, then and there, so I just paid, then they will require the balance 30 days after the funeral, I do have savings, and I'll get it back as I'm the sole beneficiary, but if that wasn't the case what would happen ?
My plan was to get her laid to rest first, then do battle with officialdom.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey