So sad...

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Went to the Christmas party at my mother's CH last night - they do make such an effort. She's way past being able to enjoy it, so OH and I take turns to sit with her upstairs.

There is a poor old thing who nearly every time I ago is wandering around with her coat on, asking if anybody can take her home. This has been going on for over a year, and I always say, I'm sorry, I haven't got the car today. But last night while I was upstairs she was very upset, saying she had to go home to her mother, she'd be wondering where she was. The staff were very good and kind, saying it was too late now, and very cold out, better go to bed, she was very tired. But she started crying, saying she had to speak to her mother first, she must ring her mother...
I've never seen her so upset before - it was so terribly sad, particularly when nearly all the other residents were having a jolly time downstairs.

halojones

May 7, 2014
So sad

How heartbreaking, the poor lady, she is now a lost little girl, wanting her mum.. oh dear, its just so heartbreaking....Thankgoodness for the kindness of you and the care home...xxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
For some reason, its harder to have Mil ask for her late Mother, than it was when she constantly asked for her late husband - I think its because she does seem like a lost child when she wants her Mum - so sad :(

Torontonian

Jan 29, 2014
Toronto, Ontario CANADA
my mother too

My mother is also looking for her mother most of the days, who passed away about 55 years ago. First thing she'll ask when she wakes up.. "where is my mother", "did she go to work" when I say it is Sunday, she'll say "she must have gone to church" than later she will forget... we were hospitalized last week for 3 days.. all she was thinking of her mother, that she will miss her and worry about her, that we must go home.

Mothers are the most loved people in every generation. I guess that is why my own mother lives with me for the past so many years and that is why I won't give up on her and put her in a nursing home until such time I am no longer capable of looking after her.

Only once she said oh your father didn't come home yet...

I call my mom 89 year old little girl child...

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
My mum seems to be always waiting for her dad. I think because she's always seen him as a hero figure. When she was a child she was in convalesce because her sister had TB and they were concerned mum had it too. She cried every day and her dad came and took her home because he couldn't bear to see his little girl like that. I know she often harks back to that. I think she is back to being that little girl in convalescence again.

It is heartbreaking.

I always think how the carers must feel when they go home sometimes, particularly at this time of year. I have a soft spot for many of the ladies in the home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77