Do i really need to become deputy for mum

happykb

Nov 17, 2014
Hospital applying for Dols as mum refuses nursing home, Been told to apply to be deputy do i have to? Mum ain't got a house or much money don't really know what i need to do for the best feeling very lost :confused:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
You don't have to do this, and I think it can be quite expensive to do it as well, though someone will probably put me right on that.
Don't be bullied or pushed into it if you don't want to have the responsibility

Last edited:

lil50

Nov 5, 2013
West Sussex
Hospital applying for Dols as mum refuses nursing home, Been told to apply to be deputy do i have to? Mum ain't got a house or much money don't really know what i need to do for the best feeling very lost :confused:

Hi happykb
Just at this point with my Mum, the Best Interest Assessor, a very helpful lady talked me through the process and she asked me if I would be Mums Relevant Persons Representative. As I understand it you are simply acting as your Mums advocate. If you don't want to do it they will appoint someone else.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As your 'Mum ain't got a house or much money' a financial deputyship is not required and as H&W deputyships are rare I think the advocate, ie spokesperson/representative, is the route to take,

happykb

Nov 17, 2014
We have had best interests meeting it was said mum goin in a home as needs 1 to 1 24 hr care everyone their agreed. mum was not present as it would have upset her her partner who like my mum is a alcoholic was their and agreed . Next minute OT ring to say they applyed for dols and i should go for deputieship as mum and her partner are both dragging their feet, mum understands in the moment that it is not safe but 2 mins later she just says she wants to go home. No one has said anythink about being a rep for her.