Colored Cutlery

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hi, i must admit there are not many things that get to me emotionally, but this did. A few weeks ago i was asked to help Young Dementia UK with a blog about how colors can affect people with dementia, not only walls, carpets ect, but also plates and drinking vessels. After posting it on line also, i was contacted by a gent who is a member of my Dementia Aware Page on Facebook asking for more information.

Here in Torbay we use Yellow plates and drinking vessels , but please read on, just shows why

"Once you have met one person with dementia, you have met ONE person with dementia"

This is what happened next........................

Dementia Aware facebook page (Over 11,500 Members and growing )

I thought I would share this, for all those having difficulty getting those they care for to eat. A few weeks back Norm Mac emailed me a document, he had a hand in producing, related to colours and dementia. This document gave guidance on such as: curtains, carpets, doors, walls, corridors, lighting, etc. What struck me was a section on crockery which, it was suggested, should be plain and yellow. My sister (VaD) had for some time been difficult to feed. Breakfast cereal not a problem; lunch and dinner she was picking at whatever I put in front of her; mostly not eating sufficient to keep a sparrow alive. I thought of the yellow crockery and decided to do some research. I found that there is a lot of evidence that colour is important in relation to eating. I came across a US study that had seen a 25% increase in food consumption with red crockery, over any other colour. So, I got red dinner plates, side plates, bowls and mugs. Starting from this last Sunday evening, from a 'red dinner plate', my sister ate a whole 9" diameter roasted vegetable flan (she is vegetarian); Monday evening a whole 9" diameter red pepper and goats cheese quiche; Tuesday evening a broccoli and tomato quiche; lunch today she has had a 'red bowl' of vegetable soup. Normally, if I give her cake she will eat about a quarter and the rest gets crumbled up onto the floor. Today from a 'red side plate' she ate the cake and not a crumb is in sight...Coincidence??? We'll see...but, she has not eaten as well as this for months and the only thing that has changed is the crockery...
— feeling happy.

(permission fully given by this person to re-post before you ask)

We have always said if we could help just ONE person whilst we were promoting Purple Angel, then JOB DONE!!

What a result !! Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
I always used red coloured crockery for dad he seemed to see the foods better on the coloured back ground. I now spoon feed him but still use his Red plates.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Talking Point mobile app

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Red plates

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Talking Point mobile app

Attachments

• 1416570378629.jpg
    1416570378629.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 893

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My daughter works with special needs children & they use either yellow or black crockery.
So I bought black china nearly a year ago and it has made a huge improvement to my husband's eating habits - he comments that he likes the colour of the plates & the food looks better.
It was explained to me that white food (ie cauliflower, pasta etc) on a white plate on a white table/tablecloth becomes just one huge white blob. The colour breaks this up.
Coincidence - I don't think so!!!

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Stirling University has been working on environmentally friendly design for many years. Colour and Contrast is just one area of research that has been undertaken - their work explores how design features in various settings can help people with dementia and visual impairment. Personal colour preference as well as contrast should also be taken into account.

http://dementia.stir.ac.uk/design/good-practice-guidelines/colour-and-contrast

There is also a Good Practice document that can be downloaded 'Good Practice in the design of homes and living spaces for people with dementia and sight loss'.

http://dementia.stir.ac.uk/system/f...living_with_dementia_and_sight_loss_final.pdf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey