Pets and Dementia

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
Sadly our cat, Henry, has recently passed away after a happy 18 years. I think Dad feels quite lost without him, so I am trying to convince mum to get another pet!

Does anyone know whether dogs are good for people with dementia? Any particular breeds? Or if cats are better? Or no pets at all?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have to be honest and say none, unless you are living with your parents, believe me it is very hard. I have ongoing problems with my mum, her little dog and my pets, all unfortunately because of mums Vascular Dementia. We all live together and I am responsible for all pets, but its very very hard and some days I could really do without it.

I'm sure some people on here will have more positive stories for you, but at the moment not me, maybe next week!!!!

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi WGA, my dad (passed last yr with Alzheimer's), was completely in love with their cat. She calmed him and brought him much comfort. Equally, when he came to my place he loved seeing our cocker spaniel bounding about with excitement or curled up and snuggling on the lounge.

I think pets are a wonderful assistance with dementia but agree that a carer may find the extra work of a pet difficult. Cats tend to be more self sufficient and really only need a feed and a pat, and a safe place for the night.

In the end, the decision must be your mum's unless you or someone else can take care of feeding and any other care that may be needed. Here are some pics of my dad enjoying post-shower sook with his cat Tessie and some warm love from my pup, Lily.

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1416490159.210928.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1416490292.417397.jpg

Stephanie

ali p

Aug 5, 2014
Maybe a Cat as they require less activity but look into an older cat maybe a rescue rather than a kitten as the kittens playfull batting and tearing around probably might not be so calming!:D