New Diagnosis for Mum, what happens next?

Shell27

Dec 25, 2011
Hi, my Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 3 weeks ago and has been in hospital for just over 4 weeks as she ran away from home twice, on two consecutive days and was returned by the police. I have just been contacted by the hospital discharge team and have to ring them back in the morning. I have no idea what to expect. Mum is 85 and cannot come home as Dad is 87 and not fit enough to care for her even with support. What happens next, can anyone advise?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
You must explain to whoever you speak to at the hospital tomorrow that your Father is not capable of looking after your Mum even with support and that he will not accept her return home. SS have to get involved unless your Mum will be self funding, then you can make your own arrangements as to her care. Just be strong when you speak to them tomorrow.

Jay

Dolly Daydream

Oct 13, 2014
Hi the hospital social worker will visit your mum and should arrange meeting before they discharge her. Be firm with them, you don't want her discharged until things are sorted out, as it will be easier to do while she is in hospital. Must tell them that your dad cannot cope.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi, my Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 3 weeks ago and has been in hospital for just over 4 weeks as she ran away from home twice, on two consecutive days and was returned by the police. I have just been contacted by the hospital discharge team and have to ring them back in the morning. I have no idea what to expect. Mum is 85 and cannot come home as Dad is 87 and not fit enough to care for her even with support. What happens next, can anyone advise?

Hi!..I agree with other post tell them straight what you and your dad want..and when they say we need the bed nonsense say unless things are in place and suitable for your mum shes not going anywhere!..I know you feel horrible like your not letting her home..but their main aim is to get people home...they will say as soon as shes home the .....dept will come and sort ab and c out...
I m sure some places are not like this but strong and remember theres patient charters and protocols to follow and if they were all doing that the ombudsmans public lists of hospital complaints wouldnt be so long!..I am hopefully your meeting will be satisfactory for you all...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I agree with the other posts. Your Mum should not be discharged until a suitable care plan has been drawn up. If that means not going home stick to your guns. No one has to be a carer-let alone an 87 year old frail Gentleman. The powers that be may try to promise this, that and the other help (they normally do), but be VERY firm. State that your Dad is vulnerable himself.

Take care and good luck

Lyn T

Shell27

Dec 25, 2011
You must explain to whoever you speak to at the hospital tomorrow that your Father is not capable of looking after your Mum even with support and that he will not accept her return home. SS have to get involved unless your Mum will be self funding, then you can make your own arrangements as to her care. Just be strong when you speak to them tomorrow.

Jay

Thanks for replying. I know I have to be strong for all of us but I feel so guilty. I know everyone on this board has been through it and it helps to know you're all finding a way.

Shell27

Dec 25, 2011
Completely Confused!

So, we had a best interests meeting at the hospital a week ago. Everyone agreed that Mum needed 24 hour care in a suitable care home. I was given a list and told to go find one. This morning I had a call that I missed from someone saying they wanted to do an assessment on Thursday and could I be there. I then had a call from the social worker saying no meeting necessary as the assessment had been done and Mum didn't qualify. No idea what for, but am assuming continuing healthcare payment. Or are they saying no funding for anything at all? We would be self funding initially but are they saying that even if we weren't they wouldn't help? No actual financial assessment has been done they are only going on what I told them in conversation. Will I ever be told exactly what is or isn't agreed? Help?