things to do

freddieandamy

Mar 26, 2012
My husband is 64 and has been diagnosed with early onset for nearly five years. He has no hobbies now apart from tv and music.he cannot write so crosswords etc are out of the equation as with jigsaws.any ideas as to how to occupy him and stimulate an interest in something

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My husband is 64 and has been diagnosed with early onset for nearly five years. He has no hobbies now apart from tv and music.he cannot write so crosswords etc are out of the equation as with jigsaws.any ideas as to how to occupy him and stimulate an interest in something

Hi freddiandamy

There is another curretn thread Activities - Any ideas - you might find helpful

tigsmum

Jan 26, 2011
Leics
Hello Amy (I assume?). I posted an identical query about a year ago and Granny G said "perhaps he hasn't the wherewithal to take part". This really struck me and since then I haven't tried nearly as hard to get him to behave in what is MY way and leave him mostly to his own thoughts unless we are going out although, strangely he seems to like drying the dishes!

Annella

Sep 22, 2010
Tasmania
Purposeful activity

Hi. I think the issue of manageable activities is really important for early onset people because they can still remember being useful and self-directing. My husband talks about it a lot and gets really upset because he says he doesn't seem to be able to find anything to do.

But the problem is that there is so little he can manage now and I have to supervise it because it can get really negative if things start going wrong. I have found that simple house hold chores are great so preparing dinner has become a therapy time he really looks forward to. I find it really hard not to just get on with it and not to be too fussy about how he does things because he gets such a buzz from helping.

He also hangs out the washing and unpacks the dishwasher even though everything gets jumbled up with the mugs with the glasses and bowls with the mugs. But I can quickly sort them out and it has given him something to do and made him feel useful.

The chores seem to work much better than when I tried to get him to do workworking projects like in the old days and he was really appalled at what a terrible job he did. And there is now lots of time just sitting listening to music and looking out the window.

Hope this helps.

elizabeth30

Feb 22, 2010
I find walking is very good as it not only is good physically but nature opens up all sorts of conversations. Also changing the bed, putting the washing on the line emptying the dishwasher and vacuuming all are good activities.

polly1

Dec 8, 2011
Hampshire
I agree, Elizabeth. My husband tries to go for a walk each day. He also spends a lot of time listening to music and looking out of the window. He does insist on washing up each evening! This is great but we have a dishwasher!!!! I leave him to it. I think it is because he now struggles with loading it. So sad as he used to be the expert!
Just another example of his slow decline.
The other day though, he took the washing in without me having to ask him!
He has never been one for housework so I shouldn't expect him to do it now, but it is so hard trying to find him things to do. Only wish there was someone his age (57) who is a fellow sufferer and lives nearby, so they could keep each other company!

Maggie

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello,
This is one of the first questions I raised on TP. This is the Thread that ran in 2005 with varying ideas and comments. It may be worth scanning through it.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?2477-Any-ideas-for-hobbies-and-interests

When ability to concentrate went I found the most successful 'entertainment' for him was a drive around (his mobility was poor) the countryside, perhaps for a picnic or to feed the ducks, perhaps a pub lunch. He seemed relaxed during these outings whereas he would become frustrated when he attempted a hobby at home. He also spent hours 'reading' - well gazing at the same book, turning the same pages so not actually concentrating.

Let us know if you find anything as many others have this problem too.

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
My Dad likes wordsearches which the Dr really approves of but he did say he has to stop doing them approx 9.00pm so his brain can get ready for sleep. We bought him a big chunky book and they also seem to have a really calming effect on him.

Prospector

Sep 30, 2014
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Hi Freddiandamy,
My first posting was on this subject on 13th October 'How to keep my wife's mind active....'. I got plenty of ideas by reply, so if you have time, please look it up under the posts with my name.
I have found it good to try and involve my wife in simple things like choosing things when we go shopping, potting up a few flower bulbs for our patio, or asking her suggestions for days out or a few days away.
Old photos and illustrated books about where she grew up and where we have lived or visited, and reminiscing about family are also good themes. She also likes animals, so trips out to stables / show farms are another good choice, and we're thinking of getting a pet. We often go for walks together and comment on things we see.
I'm thinking we should get any easy-use CD player so that she can listen to music or audiobooks of her own choice - she can still read but the effort required is getting greater and she is a much slower reader than she used to be.
Also important is to allow her some time to herself every now and then an not to worry too much unless she is obviously introspecting on depressing thoughts.
Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I find walking is very good as it not only is good physically but nature opens up all sorts of conversations. Also changing the bed, putting the washing on the line emptying the dishwasher and vacuuming all are good activities.

We like to do a lot of walking in nearby parks and woods. We both have binoculars for birdwatching and some days we take litter pickers and a couple of black bags and collect any plastic and cans. I cut up old veg, carrots or apples and leave them for the deer. Although we are in Glasgow There is a lot of wild life around here. We collect brambles and just now I clip the odd sprig of holly berries in the wood.

It all keeps our interest and helps to keep us fit. We swim two or three times a week and have people there to chat to. The big thing is to get out as much as you can in whatever way you can.