Any advice for sleep issues?

Claire H

Oct 21, 2014
Manchester
Hi, I'm hoping that someone might have some good tips or advice on dealing with sleep issues. I'm trying to help my step-dad out by doing some research for my mum. She's 55 and has early on-set Alzheimer's. She's been waking up 6-8 times at night saying she needs the toilet. She lives at home with my step-dad so he is absolutely exhausted. Has anyone else dealt with this and do you have any tips or advice that might help my step-dad?

Thanks in advance,
Claire

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Hi Claire, welcome to the forum.

The obvious thing that springs to mind is that your Mum has a bladder infection/cystitis, if she is actually going to the loo that often. You would need to get a sample of her urine to the doctor for testing, and she would be given antibiotics if necessary. An easy way to get 'a sample' is to put an old clean plastic bowl into the toilet bowl and then simply wee into it. Then transfer it to a sample bottle which you can either request at the doctor's surgery, or buy cheaply in a chemist. Some surgeries will let you hand in a bottle over the counter for testing, but others will insist on having a consultation at the same time with a nurse or doctor so your step-dad would have to phone and ask what the procedure might be.

That is the first thing to rule out.

Another thing is sugar in her urine, which would be a diabetic condition. Is there diabetes in the family?

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Owly may be on the right track with diabetes. However disturbed sleep is also a feature of dementia and if there is no obvious cause then you need to talk to the GP about sleeping pills to change the pattern of her sleep. My husband now uses Zopiclone which suits him but his doc says his body will get used to it and he will need something else eventually.

The carer cannot continue without sleep so you have to get help before a health collapse for your Dad.

PC128

Nov 5, 2014
Lack of sleep

Hello there ... Sorry to hear you are not getting a lot of sleep ....as the others are saying it may be a bladder problem. We have bad nights ... My husband awake probably no more than 4 or ,5 times.... Scary though as he always wants to go to the downstairs loo !
Usually goes. Back to sleep ok.... Sometimes though restless & fidgety early on. Then perhaps about 8pm he falls asleep in the Arm chair &' snores loudly ... Will wake up for sports programmes..!!.. I am ready to throttle him some nights !
All the best