A bitter-sweet moment

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yesterday I was given a small heart shaped container, that John had painted in craft class. I oo-ed and ahh-ed and said how clever he was, and it was so pretty, and was that a flower, and was the white on the blue a cloud in the sky?

John gave me a withering look, turned away, turned back, shook his head and said "I gave my wife a heart stone, once". About 45 years ago, John found a stone on the beach which was heart shaped, which I still have. I was thrilled he remembered that, but sad that he thought he'd given it to someone else. :(

I paid a fortune a few weeks ago to have the whole of my front made into a dropped kerb. I had a "run-up" each side, but folk continued to park in the middle, which was fine, but park so that they protruded over the side where my car was, making it mega difficult to reverse out.

Today the builders arrived to fill in what used to be a flower bed, so that I can drive over this. They phoned yesterday to say they'd be here at 9, and they arrived on the dot. I thought that if John had been here, we would have laughed over this, and said how rare this was, and John would have made their tea, and engaged them in easy chat, talking about the football, whilst having a grumble at how much this cost.

Then, daft as we were, we would have "celebrated" by driving easily off the front, and visiting a garden centre, where we would have bought something in a pot for the front, and had coffee and cake. And then laughed as we drove easily back, onto our front. Nothing mega-exciting, but the sort of things couples do.

I thought that when I go to see him later, I must tell him about this, and then I realised I mustn't. I daren't talk about anything to do with home, in case it reminds him of his old life. I can't mention the cost, and say well that's what money's for, to make our lives easier. It's no good asking if he remembers the builder. And I sat down and sobbed and sobbed.

I must pull myself together, and try to think what I should talk about when I visit John.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
It's all so difficult isn't it Scarlett? I hate not having Pete around to share things with. I guess that's why I'm on here so much;)

Silly idea from me BUT if you do buy a pot for the front why not buy a smaller version for John. You could put it in his room maybe? You would be sharing in a small way.

Sorry you feel so down

Love from

Lyn T

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Oh Scarlett. You are always so strong for the rest of us. My heart goes out to you. I think lack of recognition is one of the hardest things to bear, and then to have your memories flooding back, sometimes it's just all just too much. Think Lyn's idea is a good one re the pot plant if he's allowed to have one. Have ordered a ceramic poppy from the T of L to put in Fred's room, thinking that he might have some empathy with that as he spent some years in the RAF and always supported Forces charities. Sending love and a comforting hug. Verity

Sent from my GT-N5110

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Tell him you've kept your heart stone and put it with his heart box. Then ask him wheat would he paint next week.....Poor loves, he can't settle and so you are on edge all the time. Such a shame.x.x.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Scarlett - I know that feeling so well - something happens here at home and I want to rush to the NH to tell my husband but know I cannot anymore because (1) he will not understand what I am telling him (2) I would feel cruel for mentioning home in the conversation. Takes most of the pleasure out of day to day life I find.

At least you will be able to drive in and out more easily from now on. Did you make the workmen a cup of tea or two and discuss the latest football results with them?

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Oh Scarlett so many of your posts are uplifting and always interesting. I hate to see your pain. Please accept empathy wrapped up in a hug. One of the things I dread the most is the day my husband doesn't know me.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you for your kind words, which were gratefully received and much needed. The visit didn't go well, with John looking through me, rather than at me. I covered my "safe" topics, the weather, the nice cookery smell, either before or after lunch, depending on when I visit, how nice his hair looks, how well he looks etc.

He told me to be quiet, because he had a headache, and I was making it worse, so I apologised, and sat there, holding his hand, which he pulled away. And when I looked up, he was frowning, as if puzzled as to who I was.

After what seemed like ages, but was only a few minutes, I asked how he was feeling. He got up whilst I was in mid-sentence, and wandered into one of the lounges, and after a while, I went looking for him, and he'd nodded off in an armchair, so I left. One of the carers said "it's not John, it's the illness".

So instead of saying "yes, I know", through gritted teeth, whilst inwardly screaming, I arranged my features into a compassionate look, and just said "thank you". I now have jolly ol' Gertie Guilt sitting with me, because my life is so much easier since he's been at the Home, I sleep better, the mountains of washing have diminished, I'm getting jobs done etc.

But I feel so empty when I visit, and long for just a chink of the old John.

Dolly Daydream

Oct 13, 2014
know just how you feel,I can relate to what you are saying. I visit my oh every day just hate being on my own. Worse bit I find is when I go to bed miss him so much,had been together 44yrs never been apart until he went into NH 14 mths ago now. I often feel like crying some days when i go to visit,he still knows who i am,dreading the time when he does not know me. It's nice to be able to talk to others who know what we are going though.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hi Scarlett. Had the same sort of visit again today. Fred pretending to be asleep and lashing out if I tried to wake him. My next door neighbour, an old friend and bowling colleague of Fred's, was kind enough to drive me but he didn't even acknowledge him. New carer asked what my relationship was to Fred, was I his daughter? Don't know if she was being kind or just had bad eyesight! Perhaps she thought our friend was my husband. Haven't had a good visit really since the home reopened so perhaps my absence did cause problems for him at the time. Really don't know and probably never will but I do agree that if one more person tells me not to take it to heart, it's his illness I won't be responsible for my actions Have been sitting thinking about things this evening, yet again wondering if I had been too premature in agreeing to him moving, but, like LadyA said the other day, came to the conclusion that I couldn't have done anything else. Will there come a time when WE become too upset to visit, do you think when we just get so hurt all the time?

Sent from my GT-N5110