Seeing people!

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi just wondered if anyone had experienced this? When we try to have conversations with my mum she may say for example yes hes over there pointing at a chair with nobody in it? Mum also talks has conversations and talks to people who are not around in the house. My dad says she can do this a lot.

Mum was diagnosed with early on AD nearly 5 years ago

Lucky d

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Yes, Mum does it as well. She sees her parents and my father. She get quite cross with me if I don't work out who she is talking to quick enough. She had a very heated discussion with my dad recently who died many years ago.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's not unusual, my mum used to be able to have "seen" all kinds of people without ever leaving the house for years and had lengthy conversations with them. Some of the gossip I got was about '"er at number 27 getting meat off the ration" well, yes but that was during the war, strange how things stay with them.
K

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
This is one of my very rare posts and I'm not sure it's of any benefit. When my late wife use to see people that I could not or I found her talking to herself, I didn't find it a big deal. I just went along with it. Once she was unhappy with 'someone' sitting opposite her. Politely asked the 'person' to move and sat in 'his' chair.
As for talking to ones self, some children do it. I can relate to that, as it was a form of escapism to a safer place.
Once my wife found me chatting away while I worked on our land. When she questioned me I replied: "I'm only thinking out loud". "But you were arguing with yourself". "So what, it's time to take me away when I lose the arguments."
The point I'm making is, do your best to enter their world. That world may well be of a time or place you know little of. During and after the war there was rationing We did not have fridges or freezers, just a pantry to place perishable goods. Your Mums, Dads and Grandparents lived in another world they knew and felt safe with. Remember the mind of an AD patient is not unlike a box of tissues 'the first tissue in, is the last to leave'.
A journey back in time to their world can be very edifying in helping to understand what you perceive as strange.
Maybe I was just fortunate in being such an oddball, by caring for my wife all the way on my own 24/7 in my own way. I don't give advice nor take it for that matter, just relate my experiences with a system I found stressful and frustrating. As a result I opted out and followed my own path. Sorry it's so long winded. It's OK for each to do their own thing or follow the standard path strewn with more questions than answers.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband saw people in the house.

I asked him if they worried him or made him afraid and he said they were `all right` so I accepted them as he did.

He had Alzheimer`s.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Padraig-so good to hear from you again.

Padraig is right; enter their world. I remember once having to roll up a newspaper and 'hit the people' out of the house. 'They' were disturbing him. 'Others' were friendlier:)

Take care everyone

Lyn T

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Both my mother who had Alzheimer's and my huband who had Vascular Dementia, were frightened by the people they saw.
When still in her flat, my mother spent ages, sleeping on a couch in the living room because there was a man in the other twin bed in her bedroom. No amount of reassurance helped.
I do think the television caused problems too as she thought the people were in the room with her.
My husband thought people were attacking him and used to cry saying he had done nothing wrong. So very sad.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
My mum used to see people in her kitchen and thought there were some hiding in her wardrobes. It caused her to be very confused as she desperately tried to work out why they were there. A lot of the time she settled on them being local workers coming to her house to have their lunch.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Well it's just possible that these other people really do exist, and people with various forms of dementia are seeing through to the other dimensions that intersect with ours. There are most likely benign and malign beings who can make an appearance to people whose perception has been altered as their brains 'broke down'. Psychics will tell you that many of us are accompanied on our journeys through this life. Maybe all of us.

I used to feel happy when my mum said her mum and dad were there. It was nice to know they were hovering around and taking an interest in this 3D world and the difficulties we were having.

If someone is talking to their dead spouse, then I would get them to ask what he's been doing, where he's been, who he's been seeing. You might get some interesting answers about life on the other side.

PS check out the book, The Unquiet Dead.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...uct_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1413543404&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Just to say that that those with sight loss can also get visual hallucinations which can be frightening and confused with dementia symptoms. Macular society now says they last longer than first thought. They disappear when they blink. However c has tried to stop these creatures getting to her because they like her sheet and the object used to flap them away left her hand landing with a bump in the night. Or I hear'go away' but that is only because afraid or annoyed.Apparently they are frightened of me and leave to hide behind the wardrobe when I come in! Did notice that as sight further declined, the Charles Bonnet symptoms made an unwelcome resurgence.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5