Dementia friends

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Please correct me if wrong. I believe that a dementia friendly society should have a facility for carers and their charges to go to at varied times in the week in every small area or settlement in the country.
Unfortunately dementia cafes are well spread out as are carers groups. They depend on which council rates are paid to. Also they only appear once a month in some areas and if your charge is unwell or not up to it you miss out. True dementia friendly society would also have a bigger variety of activities on offer for the dementia patient.
The patient and sometimes more so the carer need social contact with others in the same boat.
Any thoughts??

Mums helper

Sep 7, 2014
It would be lovely to have somewhere to go regularly. I will try out our nearest dementia cafe later this month, it is once a month.
I am often told to make sure I look after myself and while I know how important this is, I'm not sure where they expect me to put my mum while I do it! Half the time I'm too tired to make the effort so I'd like a service that understand that. I don't know what I'd want though! Change in routine often makes life more difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
In an ideal world there would be, but I guess it's all down to funding, who's going to pay for it? Charities can only do so much and government funding is getting harder to come by, nationwide it would cost a fortune to do. Probably some MP will make some hollow promises coming up to the election. The only way it will happen is by people doing it, not expecting someone else to do it.
K

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Local councillors have attended two of the groups my husband attends this month. I made sure I told them truthfully how important they were to him and how highly we value the Alzheimer Scotland staff who run them. These councillors are on the committee which allocates funds to such groups so it was essential for them to see where the money was going. Until last week we went to a weekly allotment group, two football groups a month, a singing group once a month and get invitations to a number of other outings eg walks etc which he cannot attend because of his bad knee. Getting information about all that is going on in your area is vital and making contacts with staff and other carers a great boost when you need help or just conversation.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Marionq that is just it. Conversation is so important as is social interaction. Where the elderly loved ones are not very mobile the more active pursuits are out. Would be nice if churches who do coffee mornings would do dementia related groups open to all. It would bring in good custom to help their coffers and so helpful to the parishioners. I think problem is that a number of carers just can't set it up themselves because of the very unpredictable constraints and may indeed not be from the area where the caring is taking place.

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
I've tried and tried to find somewhere for my mum to go to so that she is occupied a bit but to no avail. next month I've finally got someone from the local branch of the Alz. Soc. to come to see mum and me about the memory cafe they run once a month but when I've asked about transport, they've said she'd have to get a taxi if I cant take her. I work full time.

Today mum phoned me over 17 times at work in four hours. At this rate, I'll lose my job! i just wish there was somewhere or someone or something to help!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've tried and tried to find somewhere for my mum to go to so that she is occupied a bit but to no avail. next month I've finally got someone from the local branch of the Alz. Soc. to come to see mum and me about the memory cafe they run once a month but when I've asked about transport, they've said she'd have to get a taxi if I cant take her. I work full time.

Today mum phoned me over 17 times at work in four hours. At this rate, I'll lose my job! i just wish there was somewhere or someone or something to help!

What about a Day Centre? I couldn't live without it anymore, it takes so much stress out of my life knowing he is safe and occupied and has social contacts.

halojones

May 7, 2014
There is a new dementia hub in Merton South London, and it sounds great, just what we all need..:)It is on the A S site,..There is a dementia place in the town I live, not as good as the hub, but the problem is it is way out of town, impossible to get there on a bus with mum, way too expensive in a taxi, and we cannot afford a car..Once a month ,de cafe (again, expensive taxis..)If I take mum to the local activities for the elderly, I feel uncomfortable for mum, as its not aimed at dementia,,, .So, we are socially isolated(and we live in the centre of town)..We should have a hub in every town...

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hub in every town!

Halo jones you have put your finger on it. This is not about postcode luck - this is serious stuff where huge numbers need help. We need to know that all of our citizens are being helped and comforted. A hub in every town - i like the sound of it - get those useless politicians on to that for their manifestos in 2015.

win

Oct 14, 2012
Please correct me if wrong. I believe that a dementia friendly society should have a facility for carers and their charges to go to at varied times in the week in every small area or settlement in the country.
Unfortunately dementia cafes are well spread out as are carers groups. They depend on which council rates are paid to. Also they only appear once a month in some areas and if your charge is unwell or not up to it you miss out. True dementia friendly society would also have a bigger variety of activities on offer for the dementia patient.
The patient and sometimes more so the carer need social contact with others in the same boat.
Any thoughts??

We are so very lucky here in Devon, we have several memory Cafe's and Carers' groups who meet. Some weekly, some fortnightly and some monthly. All are between 2-4 pm though, although the local Memory Café in particular arranges outings/activities in the week between meetings most of the time. We also have a Senior Citizen club who meet daily Mon-Fri 9 - 12 noon and arranges outings once a month. All of it is done by wonderful volunteers who put their hart and soul in to caring and supporting us who need it so much. I hope you all find something locally to suit your needs, it is an invaluable support.

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
What about a Day Centre? I couldn't live without it anymore, it takes so much stress out of my life knowing he is safe and occupied and has social contacts.

I've tried to find out about them but without any luck. SS don't want to know as she's self funding and I'm hoping the lady from the Alz Soc. locally is going to help find something. It's taken me three months to get a response from them too.

Just got back from my evening visit to mum and she of course doesn't remember any of the calls and has no idea of the stress she's causing. To the casual observer, you'd doubt she has any problems at all although she couldn't manage to figure out how to use the microwave tonight.

halojones

May 7, 2014
The Hub

I have always thought? ,...Since I became a carer the last 1year, i have been truly shocked at how difficult our job is made with all the services etc etc ,etc fragmented, unhelpful unsupported that wer all are and why is it just all made so extra difficult.,and if I am honest I have found the whole system quite devastating, the really sad stories, the fear it???:( :confused:Well, I had always thought we should have a CENTRE where everything is in ONE place to help us :)Well, there is NOW such a place. It is called the HUB, and it is in Mitcham South London...!:D Lucky peeps in Mitcham !!;)..Listen to the lovely luxuries that they have ,It is an enhanced healing centre,:) cosy g:) ,has hairdressers,:) podiatric,:) memory clinic,singing for the brain,carers group,cafe with garden, ooh! its what we all need, should have !:). It is on the ALZ site, I received their e-newsletter(I don't know how to put up the site,so I will type them out) And , what do you think Kevin and all other carers.? There is more, RIGHT TO KNOW CAMPAIGN, Change @alzeimers.org.uk...Also Web MD Alzheimer's Sam Gould..There are major campaigns going on, and each and everyone of us is a voter, remember. I look forward to your replies, and thoughts...We need a HUB!! :).

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
Places to Go

Where i live in Manchester there is only a Dementia cafe once a month and not much after care once your diagnosed. I am taking my husband to the cafe for the first time at the end of October.

At the moment he is still able to come to bingo with me and trips out round the shops it will be hard once he gets worse.

There isnt much back up ive even been told he might stop attending the hospital for checks soon and rely soley on the GP.

halojones

May 7, 2014
I've tried to find out about them but without any luck. SS don't want to know as she's self funding and I'm hoping the lady from the Alz Soc. locally is going to help find something. It's taken me three months to get a response from them too.

Just got back from my evening visit to mum and she of course doesn't remember any of the calls and has no idea of the stress she's causing. To the casual observer, you'd doubt she has any problems at all although she couldn't manage to figure out how to use the microwave tonight.
Our s.s would not registrar or give out the details of a local day centre, the DC manager said she went to a meeting with s.s told them all about the DC , but the s.s will still not tell people about it much to the manageress's upset.It is a good day centre, but unfortunately my mum just won't go.:(..You might find them with the sheltered housing, they are often connected..Have you seen about the HUB in Mitcham?

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Yes, halo jones, agreed but hubs have to encompass a smallish area just because it's so difficult to go far! That's why I mentioned 'settlement'. Also there should be no barriers to us by where we reside. We should be able to attend the closest.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi ! Have you contacted your local carers project?..they arrange all sorts of things...in my area we have craft then pottery choir once a week and freetime and bowls ..they are regular every week...but I know of some areas where council funded projects are at risk...our activities are through the society.....and have a positive impact..there are some community cafes in some areas that want carers and people with dementia to get together there...I know ceryain areas are larger than others and I hope you find more activities in your community..best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app