getting rid of the wee smell

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Sorry to post this but has anyone got any tips. Brand new slippers have had an accident and completely soaked. Ive washed them in the machine but they still smell. I could buy a new pair but they're new and I hate waste.

Feel awful posting this but I'm sure you'll understand.

Chook x

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
One wash may not be enough. Slippers can absorb a lot of wee. Try soaking in Napisan or similar product designed to clean baby garments. Buy several pairs of washable slippers so that you can take your time over washing and drying them thoroughly.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I had my 20 year old cat pee in my closet. He managed to get both pairs of slippers. I immediately threw them in the washing machine along with a good amount of plain white vinegar.

I find plain white vinegar a godsend for getting rid of cat pee smell. I'm sure it would be as effective with human pee smell. I have a spray bottle half vinegar and half water, and use it all the time.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
If the slippers are in danger of getting regular showers/drenches, then a less absorbent material may be more useful. cosyf**t slippers don't absorb the urine and are dry very quickly, I'm always amazed. These are generally for swollen , larger feet though. Can't fault them re washing and no residual smells.

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
I had my 20 year old cat pee in my closet. He managed to get both pairs of slippers. I immediately threw them in the washing machine along with a good amount of plain white vinegar.

I find plain white vinegar a godsend for getting rid of cat pee smell. I'm sure it would be as effective with human pee smell. I have a spray bottle half vinegar and half water, and use it all the time.

Ooh thanks for that tip just had my cat pee in my sons room stinks to high heaven will give that a try:)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Vinegar!!!! My family swear (at me) about vinegar. I'm always using it.

Ok so the house smells like a chip shop for a bit but.... Chip shop smell for 30 mins or :eek: for 30 days....

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
OOoh lots of brilliant tips! Thank you! Great idea to have two pairs, I hadn't thought of that and I'll try the vinegar and then if that doesn't work drown them in bicarb!

This is all very new to me, mum had a stroke 3 weeks ago (already had dementia) and is in hospital. It didn't help that they'd been sitting under her bed for a couple of days before I'd found them. I thought it was her that was smelling.

Thanks & have a good one

Chook
x

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Are you using biological washing powder/liquid? I find that is the best for getting wee smells out of carpets... I would guess slippers will
be the same.

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Are you using biological washing powder/liquid? I find that is the best for getting wee smells out of carpets... I would guess slippers will
be the same.

I did use bio but my machine is a newish one that only uses a tiny bit of water. I think this was the main problem. I have now stuck them in a bucket of water, vinegar and sterilzing fluid. If they survive that I'll give them a spin tomorrow.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Pound World (lots of other pound shops are available) sell 2 x 1 litre bottles of floral scented disinfectant for (big surprise) £1. It's so much nice than the pine scented, eye watering, institutional smell of most disinfectants all the usual "kills 99.9%" stuff". I've only found unscented at a premium price and so I'm well impressed with a light floral smell that does the job at that price. No connection with them I just think it's a bargain.
K

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Okay, I've tried everything now and they still smell. I'm chucking them out. I've just been told mum had a uti which is probably why her urine is extra strong and why she's having constant accidents. I'm wondering if you can buy waterproof slippers.

Thanks for all your advice.

Chook
x

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
I've not come across waterproof slippers, chook, but mum has three pairs of washable slippers which look like traditional slippers with a velcro front and they work fine, she doesn't have a tumble drier so they have to go on the radiator to dry but if there was any smell left we'd soon find out ;)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Sorry to post this but has anyone got any tips. Brand new slippers have had an accident and completely soaked. Ive washed them in the machine but they still smell. I could buy a new pair but they're new and I hate waste.

Feel awful posting this but I'm sure you'll understand.

Chook x

I use 'Urine Gone' which I buy online, it is expensive but boy does it work, even down into floorboards when animals have had accidents and it soaked through. Human, Cats, Dogs all gone. Another one is Simple Solution Stain & Odour Remover from Pets at Home.

Good luck

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Well will you look at that! Brilliant find, thank you!

I've been into see mum in hospital today and everything around her smells of wee. The nurses have said they've showered her, changed her clothes and her bedding and can't find where the smell is coming from. I think it must be because of her uti. Poor mum.

When we went to visit my husband who was in a care home while he recovered from a broken leg, he had a UTI a couple of times the smell of wee was overpowering and it was only when they took him away in his wheelchair to get changed we realised it was him not the CH,

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
When we went to visit my husband who was in a care home while he recovered from a broken leg, he had a UTI a couple of times the smell of wee was overpowering and it was only when they took him away in his wheelchair to get changed we realised it was him not the CH,

Oh bless. We're taught that that smell is really bad so it's hard to deal with isn't it. I keep telling myself she's not in any discomfort.

Thanks Jeany

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb