Wash wipes

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Aw, Lady A, I'm sorry you were jinxed! Isn't it just the way :rolleyes:. But at least you are better prepared for the next time now.

I also received the wipes I ordered, Izzy. I passed them on to dad, with the suggestions made in the chat room but don't think he's tried them yet, or if he will :(. I actually tried one on myself after warming it in the microwave and it was quite pleasant to use. I suppose they are there if all else fails. I'm a bit frustrated that he hasn't given them a try yet, but I have to remember that he's the one at the coal face, not me, and things aren't always as easy as they seem - in fact, rarely. So I bite my tongue and hope for the best.

I also bought him a radar key for when they're out and about, and he's going to keep it in the car so he doesn't forget to take it out with him.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I have a radar key on my key ring and I've given one to each of the carers. They're a godsend. I couldn't believe the disabled loo in the continence clinic though. It has a Yale lock and a notice on the door to say that the keys are available at reception. Reception is right at the end of a long corridor! I feel a letter of complaint coming on!!

Edited - email sent!!

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Actually, I gave the bath-in-bed wipes to several people who have had surgery, and just found it a bit of a drag to get in the shower! They were delighted with them!:)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm glad you sent that email Izzy; how ridiculous, and in a continence clinic too (shakes head in disbelief).

Lady A - what a good idea! When I read the back of the pack it said to heat the whole pack in the microwave, and that they couldn't be heated more than once :)confused: why? It's not as if we're going to eat them!) but as there are 8 large wipes and I reckoned two would be enough to have a reasonable 'wipe down' (one for the face, under arms and intimate areas, and one for the rest of the limbs and body if necessary), I decided to try one myself, and I popped just one into the microwave. I wondered if it would dry out, but it was fine. It only needed a few seconds. So I popped a note with instructions in with them when I gave them to dad.

I think the main problem would be the time between heating them and using them, as it didn't retain its heat for very long. That would be fine for you and me, as we understand the importance of acting quickly, but would be more difficult when trying to persuade mam to use them as they would probably go cold in the meantime.

I still think they're worth a try though and am glad I bought them.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
I used to have a radar key too and used it many times.

Someone at the carers centre told me (I never tried it though) that 'disabled people'
in a wee/poo 'emergency' can use the larger 'mother and baby loos' in shops.

Wet wipes proved too expensive (we had lots of accidents) so I used supermarkets own version of multipurpose wipes ... the cheapest blue sort.
These are huge, so cut them in half a pack of 10 becomes 20. When I was buying them only 30p a pack.

They are lovely and soft when they have been dipped in warm water and wrung out.
I saved a fortune using these, and my husband never once complained about them being scratchy
or smelly like he did the ready made wet wipes.

I did have the ready made wipes for out little trips out, as well as several changes of clothes...
A large rucksack ...You'd of thought we were going on a hike around the countryside with picnic :)

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I used Oasis bed bath wipes and. I used to put a wipe on the radiator for a short while to warm up. Worked very well. I never used a whole pack at a time.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Grace, yes, I'd imagine the cost could rack up easily if they were being used all the time. I'm just hoping they can be a standby alternative for those occasions when dad just can't get her washed properly. I admire your inventiveness with the cheaper wipes! Needs must, eh?

Jeanette, what a good idea to use the radiator! Dad could put a couple over the radiator in the bedroom for a few minutes beforehand and they'd be close by once he persuaded her into the room to sit on the bed. Genius. Why didn't I think of that?

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
College Girl,
Unfortunately we went through a very messy period, not helped by a variety of drugs adding to the
poo-problems we had already ....

Getting my husband washed and changed after an accident always caused a fight between us
Of course it was all my fault, and this made him aggressive ...

We were using so many wipes (husband would snatch them off me, and try an and clean himself)
but in doing so could use a whole pack of wipes and still not have the 'job-done '...:eek: I had to
come up with a cheaper solution ... and one day stumbled on the idea of blue wipes.

It was one of those.... why didn't I think of this before ideas ? and it worked for us.
It might work for someone else on TP, you never know.

Just make sure they don't get flushed !!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Hi lin1...
yes, the blue cloths were the J -sort... only supermarkets own brand value ones .
Very sturdy, even when cut in half ... did the job well.... and cheaper than ready made wipes.

I used to put a handful in the sink with hot water and liquid soap ... then squeeze them out as use them.
Those that didn't get used (even though wet) you could dry on the radiator and use again.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Well, aren't I just daft :rolleyes:. I didn't realise you were talking about J-cloth type things! Duh. I did wonder why you would bother dipping them in water ...
:D
It took me a few minutes to work it out.
so thought I would post to make sure and help others who may have been scratching their heads .

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I used to use
No rinse body bath
Also their No rinse shampoo
And for those err um brown accidents, their Periwash
They were brill.
Mum's hair and skin were lovely

I have nothing to do with No Rinse other using it for mum.

Last edited:

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Hello again, Sorry if I caused confusion :)
I wasn't sure if I should name a brand ..... just in case I breach some TP guidelines

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello again, Sorry if I caused confusion :)
I wasn't sure if I should name a brand ..... just in case I breach some TP guidelines

As I understand it, naming brands is ok when it is to help carers and those with Dementia
I think we should put a disclaimer in saying something like we have nothing to do with the firm . Which I will go back and do now, Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
As I understand it, naming brands is ok when it is to help people here
I think we should put a disclaimer in saying something like we have nothing to do with the firm . Which I will go back and do now.

Aw Lin here's me thinking you were a Jcloth millionaire :D

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Yes, a while ago I confirmed that with one of the moderators. There's no need to asterisk brand names or to give weird clues as to the name, as long as you are not involved with the company. Same goes for shops. It's perfectly all right to say Tesco, Asda, etc.

Rules are different for naming specific nursing homes or hospitals and suchlike though, so be careful with those.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
This is an amazing thread - thank you :)

Mum is so immobile and has such a small and difficult-to-adapt bathroom, that I think some of these products must be helpful. I think perhaps I'll try the 'No Rinse' ones to start with, and will get a pack of the body wipes as well. Who knows, this could be the start of something big! :D

Thanks again :)

Lindy xx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi lin1...
yes, the blue cloths were the J -sort... only supermarkets own brand value ones .
Very sturdy, even when cut in half ... did the job well.... and cheaper than ready made wipes.

I used to put a handful in the sink with hot water and liquid soap ... then squeeze them out as use them.
Those that didn't get used (even though wet) you could dry on the radiator and use again.

We used to use these when nursing a few years back;) pink ones for face and body and blue for nether regions, they last well:) I find ordinary flannels are too heavy for me when wet these days.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prince mleo