My Alzheimer's - as time goes by.

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Thank you very much for your kind comments.I hope that members of this forum will visit on a regular basis and comment freely on the various topics.

I am very happy with the site and it's ongoing development. Having previously given up my hobby collectables forum and Blog, which used to take up the majority of my daily mental stimulation and activity. I am pouring my energies into my new site and thoroughly enjoying it.:)
I do not know if it is a symptom of my AD illness, I need to have mental stimulation as the creative part of my brain tends to go at 500 mph!! :eek:
Unfortunately this has a down side, my activities are in short bursts and not as sustainable as pre AD.I hope to carry on for as long as I can highlighting aspects of this dreaded affliction.

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
A journey into darkness

Having been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, it is difficult not to think of what the next few years has in store for me in terms of my illness,particularly the later stages.

Alzheimer’s last stages of which are shrouded in mystery, each of us with this disease will be exploring an unknown wilderness.Ultimately,will I be able to tell others what the last stages are like? I wonder whether I’ll be conscious toward the end when I appear to be completely out of it and, if not, what it will be like.We just don’t know.

In trying to second guess what my journey into the darkness might be like might seem like a form of denial,soft-peddling the likelihood of future suffering for me and the people close to me. I don’t believe I’m in denial, but even if I were, does that change the reality that this process will be some sort of adventure?

Perhaps we don’t think of Alzheimer’s as an adventure because we want happy endings and believe that the word adventure applies only to successful adventures, where the hero faces enormous dangers and suffering but eventually returns to tell the exciting story.But what if the hero does not return.
It sounds strange, as well as trepidation,I can still sense an excitement.Growing up, I relished exploring uncharted territory. But each of us with this disease must explore it for the first time; each of us faces a unique adventure.Knowing that we will never return.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Oh gosh sandpiper, you just made me cry :( you have written so much emotion into that piece I couldn't help it. I can't begin to imagine the thoughts which must swirl around your head over this. You and the other sufferers who post on here are truly wonderful in how you face things as this occur, and it is enormously helpful to gain a little insight too.

Hugs x

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Oh gosh sandpiper, you just made me cry :( you have written so much emotion into that piece I couldn't help it. I can't begin to imagine the thoughts which must swirl around your head over this. You and the other sufferers who post on here are truly wonderful in how you face things as this occur, and it is enormously helpful to gain a little insight too.

Hugs x

Thank you so much for your very kind comments.I am so sorry that my post made you cry.Take care and god bless you.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Thank-you Sand Piper, I found your site well worth the visit.
Your last post, here, stopped me in my tracks and made me think. Please keep posting. What we learn, from you, we can, I hope, put to good use in our own particular circumstances.
It can't always be as easy as you make it seem, to post like this. It is very much appreciated.

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi Sandpiper, I did try to leave a comment on your blog. But I don't have the correct user name or URL or whatever. LOL.
I'm probably 20 years younger than you but 20 years behind.
You're one cool dude :D

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Thank you, Sand Piper

Glad you enjoyed the piece eddy.Thank you for your response.

Thank-you Sand Piper, I found your site well worth the visit.
Your last post, here, stopped me in my tracks and made me think. Please keep posting. What we learn, from you, we can, I hope, put to good use in our own particular circumstances.
It can't always be as easy as you make it seem, to post like this. It is very much appreciated.

Good to know you enjoyed visiting my site Gringo.
Sounds corny I know,but the essence of my posting comes from the heart,it is good to be among friends.Doing so allows me to express my feelings more than face to face or at group meetings.
I am conscious that when in the company of others that my speech communication skills are becoming less comfortable than that before my AD diagnosis.I am much more fortunate than many others with this bloody awful disease, in that I can still express my innermost feelings in a reasonably 'normal' fashion.I find it gratifying that fellow AD Pilgrims finding my pieces of interest.
Thank you.

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
People with Alzheimer's may have personality changes, such as poor impulse control and judgment, distrust, increased stubbornness, and restlessness.
I have undergone all of the above in the last year or so.

Impulsive behaviour and poor judgement has resulted in my wife taking control of my finances and in particular my credit cards. I have had to curtail impulse buying on line as I have been told that it was becoming obsessive.One good thing to come of it is that my very good friend the postman, now has a quieter time, with far fewer deliveries of strange large parcels and packages !!:)
I was starting to mistrust my wife with my allowances and pension money.As she explained to me she was not diverting it to buy new shoes and clothing for herself. Anyway none of it would have fitted me !! I am now on a par with Royalty in that I do not carry any money on my person now!:D

Each week my wife takes me and a family friend,who also happens to be an Alzheimer Pilgrim,out for trips in the car.:eek: These journeys are tailored to our special needs for distance ,feeding stops and toilet facilities. Which in my case can be a frequent and necessary requirement!! On one of these outings my wife had decided to go somewhere different and necessitated a slightly longer journey.I took exception to this as I do not enjoy travelling and keep it to a minimum. I ruined the day by being moody and expressing my anger by being out of my comfort zone of familiarity.

I find that I have a much shorter attention span and can become restless after 20 to 40 minutes of reading a book or typing on the computer. Even jumping between both activities ,which I now describe as Alzheimer multi tasking! a recipe for disaster in continuity!!:confused:

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
I just posted this on my web site.:)

Over the years I have enjoyed reading poetry but have never really got up the courage to attempt having a go, until now! I humbly submit my first attempt, it is called "Think of me my friends, forget me not". The inspiration was from my wife's garden and her beautiful little blue Myosotis flowers (Forget me not's) seemed appropriate! I hope the Blog followers enjoy it.

"Think of me my friends, forget me not"

Forget me not when I am dead and gone,
having lived my life, loved laughed and won,
with these words the years flew by,
laugh with me, forget me not,
now with Alzheimer's I will pass by,
having lived, loved laughed and won,
always remember my friends, forget me not.

the final appointment with death one day soon,
my pain and terror thankfully vanquished forever,
forget me not when I am dead and long gone,
demented stigma no longer cast,
having gratefully lived,loved laughed and won,
now at peace with my mortality at long last,
think of me my friends and forget me not.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Beautiful picture-even more beautiful poem.You made me shed a few tears.

Take care and thanks for sharing your thoughts through your poem.

Lyn T

Margaret938

Alzheimer's - What's it like to have it?

Hello Sandpiper
Thank you for this particular article. It has really brought it home to me what my darling husband must be going through. I cannot imagine what it must be like, but having read this I will think about all you have said when I am with him. He is in a Care Home now, but today I brought him home for the afternoon, to enjoy the garden. He was restless at times, but I got the mower out and got him started cutting the grass, a job that was totally his before the illness crept up on him. He did enjoy it, and I will try him another day this week on the front lawn. He experiences most of the symptoms you have mentioned in in this article. Thank you for giving me the chance to understand more how he is feeling.
Margaret

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
1st. attempt!! Hope you last a long long time to entertain and instruct us with your humour, blogs, photography and now poetry too.