Activities for late stage Dementia

Vampy

Jun 4, 2013
Doncaster
Hi everyone,

I'm posting this here because it's important to know from a person with Dementia's point of view. I'm currently volunteering at several day centres where people with moderate to late stage Dementia go for a couple of hours, lunch, and a nice afternoon.

However, these afternoons are getting quite long and boring for the people with Dementia because we can't think of things to do (it's only an hour or so) and I was wondering, if you were to go to a centre where there are 10 or so people with Dementia, what kinds of activities would you like to do?

I've thought about bringing in nice smelling hand lotions and creams along with nail varnish and having some pampering time, but I doubt very much the men would be interested!

Any recommendations? Thoughts on hand lotions? :confused:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Singing. Singing. Singing.

Then perhaps.......

........more singing.:)

Also, I think you'll find that some men enjoy pampering.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I agree, singing is great because you feel so much better if you do it, even if you don't feel like it. But i was brought up in a family where we did it a lot so i am biased.
Any possibility of a visit by a friendly dog?

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
You can buy adult colouring books quite cheaply on the internet. I've bought some lovely stained glass (plastic) painting kits too, there are also simple jigsaws, all these I used to do with mum and she loved a game of snap! Fuzzy Felt and Mr Potato Head are also great time absorbers. What about a train set for the men? An appeal in th elocal paper or on freecycle should come up with some equipment for free.

Hope this helps

Hugs

Vampy

Jun 4, 2013
Doncaster
Thank you very much for your ideas everybody! Duly noted, I especially like the idea of stained glass painting, though not sure where I could get my hands on 14 without spending a fortune!

I'll scratch my head for ideas of stretching hand lotions and nail painting to an hour or so.

It's very difficult to not be condescending, sometimes the people at the centre are treated like children, so I'm trying to get activities that are a bit nicer for this particular group.

Thanks for the ideas! Any more? :D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm afraid that I would have thought that stained glass painting would be way too difficult for residents who are at the late stage of dementia. Lovely for those able to do it though. Even the 8 piece large jigsaws are way beyond the residents in my husband's nursing home wing. I agree with those who say singing - in fact music of all kinds. A young flautist goes into my husband's home sometimes on a Sunday and it is lovley to hear her play - very soothing,

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I agree that singing can make people with dementia fell happy especially songs that were of their younger years, also have you tried reading poetry to them!
Barry, now in mid-stage mixed dementia and Alzheimer's

wubu

May 22, 2013
Suffolk
I think the suggestions will help above, however it would be worth getting to know a history of regular visitors and note it down so you can focus on things important to them or what they have enjoyed doing in earlier years. Its always nice to add a personal touch.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
My husband loves clapping to songs and tries to join in with singing. He likes to dance too, something the carers do sometimes with him.

He has also made chocolate cornflake cakes. Each resident is given a bowl with melted chocolate in, and add some cornflakes. They mix it and either eat it :eek: or put it into cases, then eat it! :)

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yes, dancing is good. Dad can't get around easily any more and many others would have mobility issues in the later stages. Now Dad and I do what I call "Chair Dancing". He sits in the chair, we pop on some great swing band music, I hold on to him like we are dancing, then I stomp my feet and swing our arms to it. He laughs so much, and tells me I'm crazy but he loves it. Just laughing is wonderful, if me being silly makes him laugh, then I shall be silly.

Stephanie, xxx

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Ooh, and giving hand massages with proper aromatherapy massage oils that are relaxing. For those who have very little ability to engage or communicate, touch is a comforting and soothing experience.

xxx

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
vampy

Try not to buy - do an Aneka Rice job - tell em what it's for and hopefully they'll bite or persuade for a huge discount and mention in paper;):D YOU DONT ASK YOU DONT GET!!!

Vampy

Jun 4, 2013
Doncaster
All set!

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions! I definitely plan on getting to know the people more and the things they like.

I'm going in tomorrow with a bag full of hand lotions and nail polish, along with ipod speakers and a whole playlist of songs from the 60's right up to the 80's! Hopefully many of them will be recognised and sang along to throughout the day, the fact that I'm only 18 made choosing the songs difficult for me! :eek:

Thanks again everybody, I'm looking forward to volunteering at these places and bringing a breath of fresh air to the activities. :D:D:D

LavenderBees

Jun 2, 2013
Northumberland
Well Done you!

Hi, Vampy

I don't have anything to add to the lovely suggestions above, but just wanted to say how impressed I am with the thought and feeling with which you're approaching your volunteering. Please know that you will make such a difference to everyone involved.

I hope it all goes well. Please let us know how you get on.

LB xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Men do like hand massage. I give my husband one everyday, Music from an earlier age is also good. Pictoral books which have images of Britain from say the 50's or 60's.Believe it or not a balloon being hit from resident to resident (if physically able). Textiles such as throws which are soft.Silk/satin swatches soft wools softly rubbed against the face,aromatic herbs to smell.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
When I visited my aunt's CH recently, they were all listening to classical music, Nessun Dormir (is that the right spelling:D) and that type of thing,from the 3 tenors.

You could have heard a pin drop, they loved it!

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
I know it sounds childish but Mum loves playing with a large garden hoop-la set that I found in a charity shop. The rings and horseshoes are made of brightly coloured foam. Aiming for the pegs gives her something to concentrate on and she laughs a lot when we miss the target by miles :)
When visitors call we can all play together and it's easy to take to the local park. Only downside is having to pick the hoops up every five minutes!

PoppyLady

Mar 17, 2012
Poppy Lady

Music is the answer, my husband loves it, and if you can show a DVD with music, such as Andre Rieu in concert which they love and can join in with the songs.

USA Caregiver

Jul 8, 2012
Youtube exploration

This has been the most meaningful activity I've done for those with whom you are volunteering. Get in front of internet enabled computer, or hook your wireless enabled laptop to a larger tv.

Get on Youtube and start exploring. A good place to start for our group is Shirley Temple, where you will find a variety of songs and dances, specifically with Bill Bojangles Robinson. Once you start playing these,you can click on similar...YouTube itself provides suggestions. So you may end up venturig into tap dancers like Nicolas Brothers or big bands like Glen Miller or Cab Calloway. Then find modern ball room dancers...or the hula competitions in Hawaii.

Hometowns...you can search Google Images for London 1930s. or WWII posters.

Whatever, it is most important that you include them by offering choices of next video, encouraging dialogue and memories. Of course, clapping and singing along can be part of this, and you can find many songs with the lyrics right on the screen. Perhaps the old TV show "Sing along with Mitch" is on YouTube.