Coconut Oil: overcoming TP taboos

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Intermittently, there are threads on Coconut oil and apologies if this repeats anything said before. I've tried to speed-read previous posts but am up all hours at mo, battling really nasty chest infection with one mother, so might well have missed something:-

I started using Coconoil a little while ago. I can't seem to get the sort of quantities into either mother, that are recommended for dementia (ie. several tbspns - Maccare has written about this) - without it having an explosive impact on digestion! But I am using between 1/4 tspn and 1 tspn a day in porridge to keep gut motility on track and ward off constipation and for that, it seems to be working really well. Possibly, our two mothers are too far advanced for Coconoil to have any positive impact on dementia.

However, I'm cooking more with it for the family generally. (Makes fantastic roast veg). My younger son pointed out that it is very high in saturated fat - I recently checked this out - he's right, but there seems to be a difference between refined (with the risk of hydrogenated and trans fats) and organic. Organic coconoil seems to be fine but sadly, you have to pay the higher organic price for it. Go to kelkoo perhaps to shop around for offers. Having said that, a little coconoil goes a long way - and you can use it for wrinkles and furniture!

Some people seem to suggest that you should be looking for the most expensive oil you can find rather than the cheapest. I don't know about that, but it's clear that not all oils are equally effective (for those that benefit at all).

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The coconut oil I bought from H&B on offer says 'pure coconut oil, ingredients coconut oil - so I wouldn't imagine you can get better than that - but am quite happy to be proved wrong! Just wish I could think of a way to use it. I don't fancy it on bread and I don't fry very often. I think it's going to have to be hair but that's a very expensive conditioner!

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
ear wax... drips of oil in ears for a week or so, they always tell you to do this.... then ears can be syringed at gp surgery...

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
ear wax... drips of oil in ears for a week or so, they always tell you to do this.... then ears can be syringed at gp surgery...
O dear - is that in response to my post?I've never has the need to have ny ears syringed - not has my husband!but thanks - I think!:D

reiki.dave

Feb 13, 2013
Coconut oil.

Reading various comments about CO, clearly there are many sceptic's, or at least people who simply don't have all the facts, which is a pity. It would appear that some people are buying CO from supermarkets, which is fine if it is pure or coconut oil, rather than the liquid form I have seen in many supermarkets. Pure or extra virgin coconut oil is atually solid at room temperature, and a good oil should be clear when it becomes liquid, and should have no impurities within it, and it should only possess a hint of coconut about it. Yes coconut is a suturated fat, but it is a MCT, "medium chain triglyceride" fat, which is actually a good fat despite all the scare mongering, although I believe "palm kernel oil" to be even better, but also more expensive too. Coconut oil is converted into keytones within the body via the liver, and for those who are interested in the technicalities, simply type in "Ketones" into google and I am sure you will have any questions on that subject fully answered. Unlike many oil's, CO is actually beneficial in helping lower LDL choleserol too, as well as a host of other benefits, not merely in helping with brain function. As for what you can take CO with, well anything you wish is the answer, even neat off the spoon if you can stand it, although in yoghurts or mixed with cereals and hot milk in the morning is a good way to start the day. Well I guess I will leave you to make up your own minds, but I hope my brief words have at least been of benefit to some of you before I call it a day. R.D

Last edited:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Saffie,
I have some left too . The girl in our local H & B says she uses it as a moisturiser and I have to say she has lovely skin- however she is about 40 years younger than I am.
Tre

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thanks Tre, I will try it - I need a miracle but at my age, miracles are few and far between!
It would appear that some people are buying CO from supermarkets, which is fine if it is pure or coconut oil, rather than the liquid form I have seen in many supermarkets. Pure or extra virgin coconut oil is atually solid at room temperature, and a good oil should be clear when it becomes liquid, and should have no impurities within it, and it should only possess a hint of coconut about it. Yes coconut is a suturated fat, but it is a MCT, "medium chain triglyceride" fat, which is actually a good fat despite all the scare mongering, although I believe "palm kernel oil" to be even better, but also more expensive too.
I have been keeping mine in the 'fridge until I decide what to do with it and it's solid - very! - and white. It's in a tub and has never been liquid. It does smell wonderful though. I have been using red palm and canola oil which I have in a small bottle - bought as a sample I think, on the rare occasions I have fried food. I think I remember reading that it was good for you.

I'm afraid that the rest of your post is a bit confusing but I freely admit I am no scientist! To me, if something is high is saturated fat, it is not good and triglycerides are not good so am puzzled as to how this can be good. not saying it in't - just confused!

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
In a playful mood

Hi all you wise ones,
The sun is shining, Mum has had two decent walks already this morning, the coconut oil is being consumed by all three of us with pleasure.
* Right now my aim is to get it started, so am adding a teaspoon to muesli at breakfast, and a teaspoon into each cappucino she drinks across the day - makes it creamier!

* I haven't read Mary Newport's book, so I will get that ordered.

* Based on Maccare's reports I shall initially assume the dose needs to be regular and spread across the day, as he has observed a 4 hour time lag post consumption to gain the cognitive benefits.

* I am also going to use it on my face, regularly, and see what happens.

* While the B&B half price sale is still on, I am going to order a few more tubs.

* By the way, I genuinely think it tastes delicious - nuttier than butter, and a real whollop of cream, not surprised the fat content is astronomical.

Wishing you all a smooth, well-oiled day, BE

Last edited by a moderator:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
As I said before we used pure coconut oil for nearly 6 months in cereal, porridge, yogurt,and custard and its put off me anything greasy or coconut flavour for life, I think it would put me off coffee if I added it to that it doesn't make it creamy for me it just makes it oily, but i must admit it is good for the skin I have lovely soft hands and face, but it made no difference to Allen, maybe I should try it on his hands and face :)

Jeany xx

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Thank you for your continued input, Jeany.
I think it is established that coconut oil doesn't help everyone. From people who have contacted me, it does appear to bring lucidity to some (a few?) for a determined amount of time post consumption.
Regarding the taste, I wonder if different brands taste better/worse? The stuff I have is genuinely pleasant, cream with the faintest hint of coconut.
I may feel like you in six months time.... watch this space!

Have yet to apply it to my face! I hope it soaks in quickly or will I have 'totally tropical' pillow covers? I will probably dream of sun-kissed sandy beaches. But spring is coming, we had 23 C in the sun today. The wild birds were hysterical, pairing up etc.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thank you for your continued input, Jeany.
I think it is established that coconut oil doesn't help everyone. From people who have contacted me, it does appear to bring lucidity to some (a few?) for a determined amount of time post consumption.
Regarding the taste, I wonder if different brands taste better/worse? The stuff I have is genuinely pleasant, cream with the faintest hint of coconut.
I may feel like you in six months time.... watch this space!

Have yet to apply it to my face! I hope it soaks in quickly or will I have 'totally tropical' pillow covers? I will probably dream of sun-kissed sandy beaches. But spring is coming, we had 23 C in the sun today. The wild birds were hysterical, pairing up etc.

I really hope it works for your mum BE, it could be different it says pure virgin coconut oil it is solid though not creamy until melted so it sounds as though yours might be better to taste, it soaks straight into the skin and feels softer after the first application,the smell is very faint but it reminds me of the coconut sun cream that people use when abroad ,

Jeany xx

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Subtle Changes - already? Is it possible?

Now, this isn't scientific...... so take what I write as fact, but not necessarily related to having just started (three days) on coconut oil.

Yesterday, last night, Mum appologised! She snapped at my Best Beloved for asking her to control her dog, and she appologised. This was a genuine, heartfelt, well-reflected appology - not some animal-brain effort to curry favour, be in hubby's good books. She had the INSIGHT that her behavior was inappropriate.

This morning I was chatting from the kitchen to her in the bedroom. She snapped at me for "shouting at her". I pointed out that I wasn't shouting AT her, but talking loudly so she could hear while she dressed and I prepared breakfast. A pause..... "Yes, you are right, you weren't shouting at me. I'm sorry."

Both hubby and I noticed as appologies are not on her menu - she is always right.

I want to highlight that previously (her mid-fifties to seventies) she took 2 dessertspoons of lecithin (soya fat) granules in her muesli - this prevented her dreadful migraines and elevated/stabilised her mood. [Don't know how she got out of that habit, possibly the death of my father]. So I know she has benefitted from soya fat, perhaps she does well on coconut fat as well?

Of course it is far to soon to tell.
She is now having three teaspoons in her muesli, and I put a teaspoon of it in every hot drink she takes (tea, coffee, cappucino) throughout the day - as regular input seems critical, each dose having a finite time of effect.

And what about effects of coconut oil on me?
Well, I would hardly put Mum on something without trying it myself, in case it did cause wind, stomach upsets or whatever.

Meditating this morning I had the most visual session I have ever had. As I consciously relaxed each body part, memory after memory surfaced. I am a visual person anyway, but this was beyond all my experience of Yoga Nidra in the last 11 months. Different. Not better. Different. It came to me that these were memories stored at muscular level that were releasing (I know this to be theoretically true, just haven't experienced direct muscle-relax --> memory-release before). Here is an example of the kind of thing that happened. I scanned for tension and relaxed that spot..... memory of a crazed man attacking me in a bar because my mother is a journalist and I profit from that. (My memory of that event is how nobody came to my aid, he ripped me to shreds, and I had no idea who the man was, and strong men failed to get this drunken creep off me). This time my memory altered. I remembered the bar woman saying this wasn't appropriate. I remember grown men observing - perhaps ready to haul him off if necessary. I remember a good friend saying he should be made to appologise...... Just a new version of a very painful, frightening memory, seen with a wider perspective.

So, I withhold judgment. I am intrigued. I am going to share this with my Indian yogi and see what he has to say. They eat coconut oil in India, maybe he knows more about this foodstuff?

Here is to a mentally clear day for everyone who reads this. Onwards and upwards. Greater clarity is what I seek. Love BE

Last edited:

farnhamz

Oct 26, 2008
London
coconut oil

just started husband gradually on coconut oil over past two weeks. UCLh nurse said give it 3 months! obviously no trials been done so i too bought the book and the oil. husband was on Donepezil and so very ill with hs stomach and aggression. We have now been told he can have Memantine but really reading the side effects as he has high BP and urinary problems i will go with the oil for the 3 months and see. if no worse fine but i am loathe to give him yet more chemicals and watch his naturally sunny personality change overnight. i put the coconut oil in porridge, on biscuits with jam on them and it makes wonderful scrambled egg. the taste goes when you cook it in heat, e g roast potatoes. I havent finished the book yet but it seems written by a very caring supportive doctor who has bucked the traditional trends because the patient is her husband and here are chemical facts to back the use up.
i know Consultants are doing what they can but it seems they are in the dark. and ignore what us carers say and the resulting side effects. by the way i think my husband would be helped with a very mild ante depressant but he was prescribed Sertraline which upset him severely over the week he took it. hope all this helps someone.

It is disappointing that coconut oil has been relegated to the bowels of the TP site. I have been here for many months and have never seen it. I feel it belongs in 'mainstream' viewing on regular forum, not in the 'Resource' section. Why is something of mainstream dementia debate located there? Why consider that thread a resource when those who have posted get knocked/hurt?

There seems to be a degree of moderator hysteria about this product. (If in doubt go to the Resources section of the Forum and see the intolerance expressed there - thread on Coconut Oil). Mum is on Memantine and I notice no difference in her, yet comments about this and other meds are tolerated.

I have started Mum on coconut oil today. I will use it. Husband too. And my mother. Open mind to see what happens. I shall order the book (Mary Newark) - also been described as heresy. But research has to start somewhere. In my view Mum has nothing to lose by trying it, it even helps with constipation, another of her big issues.

However I would like to post our experiences on this section of the forum. I don't want to report from the Bowels of TP, hidden away from public view in a Resources section, unvisited by most here.
I know you are an open-minded bunch - would you mind a genuine discourse, open-minded sharing about Coconut Oil on a thread here?

If you would like to share with me, please add a comment. Otherwise I shall join another dementia forum for this aspect of my Dementia Journey.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hello Farnhams,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts and experiences. Also welcome to the forum - lots and lots of really, smart, experienced and wise people here - so post away, the more the merrier!

I know they say three months.
And I have no real expectation really.
Just, I do remember how Mum thrived on lecithin (pre-dementia days), and that is another fat required by the brain.
So, it is a pure experiment to see if coconut oil has any positive effect.

I have to reiterate, this is just a few days in, and I find Mum more open to reason. She applogised - unheard of behavior. She appologised twice, once to me and once to hubby.

Today, I also find her in a mood where her emphasis is on getting things set to right, so she is more cooperative, has more insight into others.

This may be a side-effect and not doing anything to reverse dementia - but I like the side-effect. Something in her brain is getting oiled and moving free-er.

Keep posting, and wishing anyone who reads this a much better day than expected. BE

ockc

Account Closed
Mar 18, 2012
Our experience with coconut oil

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts and experiences. Also welcome to the forum - lots and lots of really, smart, experienced and wise people here - so post away, the more the merrier!

Thanks very much for starting this thread.

Today has been a good day for my father, who was diagnosed as having fronto-temporal dementia almost a year ago but we had noticed something was wrong over four years ago.

After 3.5 weeks on 6 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil spread over three meals a day combined with a low carbohydrate diet, he seems to me to be back to where his dementia had taken him some 6-7 months ago. The coconut oil is mixed in with his food (porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and yoghurt for dinner). His carers are as impressed with his progress as we are, even though he had a hiccup last weekend after catching a stomach bug which has been going around in our area.

The carers are documenting his progress four times a day and we're also keeping track of his movements around the clock using video cameras triggered by motion. The cameras are mainly for our own peace of mind but the resulting images contribute to the documentary evidence we're accumulating about my father's progress with the coconut oil.

We didn't give him this much coconut oil suddenly, of course. Otherwise it can apparently result in diarrhea and/or stomach cramps in some people because it slows down the digestion. However, building up gradually to the 6 tablespoons went OK for my father.

Coconut oil generally seems to be a taboo subject with people popping up to discredit it as soon as anyone posts something good about it, quoting misleading and under-researched articles to prove their point, usually from websites financed by the pharmaceutical industry ... .

I've just cancelled my monthly direct debit to the Alzheimer's Society over its seemingly paradoxical policy towards coconut oil, as reported in the Daily Mail article about coconut oil and Alzheimer's: "The Alzheimer’s Society, which has just had its research funding boosted by the Government, says while it ‘wouldn’t discourage anyone from taking it . . .  there is not enough evidence to suggest that coconut oil or ketones have benefits for people with Alzheimer’s, so we would not consider funding research into it’." The research on ketone esters was originally done at Oxford University back in 2001 but, as Dr Kieran Clarke says "... of course there’s no real profit in manufacturing stuff like that, and so people really don’t want to fund that sort of thing.”

By the way, the two other things I've come across as being potentially helpful are turmeric (or specifically curcumin) and vitamin B supplements. However, I'm not planning to try the turmeric with my father since he takes aspirin and the combination might prevent his blood from clotting. Maybe others have tried it?

The coconut oil/low carb diet seems to be helping my father and I'm happy enough with his progress so far just to stick to that. Wish I'd found out earlier about the quantity, though.

Suzr19

Feb 26, 2013
This thread has made interesting reading, after searching for many hours like most people here I'm sure, we decided to give coconut oil a try. Dad has been having 3 tablespoons a day (spread between morning/lunch/eve) for the last 10 days. His mood has lifted slightly & he has more conversation in him. (during which I am finding I do not need to repeat myself 3 or 4 times for the information to sink in quite as often!) If this is as a result of the coconut oil I guess we'll never know at least not in his lifetime. Whatever has caused this small improvement in his quality of life I find comfort in, it's all about trying to improve what time he has left now - he's 92 tomorrow & was officially diagnosed 5 years ago.

As there is no definitive answer at present as many have stated here & as it most certainly is having no adverse effects on him, we will continue. I am also considering adding some MCT oil with the coconut oil to see if that helps too. Does anyone here use both? What are your thoughts?

As my father still prepares (remarkably!) his own food, getting him to add coconut oil during preparation was something we knew he would not cope with or remember to do. Fortunately he quite likes to drink it straight from a shot glass! So my brother who visits morning & eve melts & prepares 2 shots for him & a carer who visits on a lunchtime medication call does the third shot!

For anyone who is using it this way, or even added to food I'm sure you have found the solid oil fiddly to measure & melt quickly. After a couple of days of frustration I had a brainwave! :) I bought a couple of silicone ice cube trays, placed the jar of solid oil in a jug containing boiling water to melt, using a tablespoon measure poured measured amounts into the silicone tray & left it to set. Once solid these pop easily out of the silicone & are in handy 1tablesoon measures ready to use as you see fit! I store mine in a glass jar. This makes giving Dad oil really quick & easy, drop a cube in a glass shot glass, put the glass inside another glass containing boiling water, it melts in a minute or so & is down in a second or two. I hope this helps someone.

uselessdaughter

Jun 8, 2009
West Country
I would be the first to admit that I don't know very much about Coconut Oil or its effects regarding dementia but on doing a bit of research found the following quotes. Perhaps this may be why it is not recommended more often as it is thought to be a bad thing to be feeding multiple spoonfuls of it to people. As in many things, what helps with one problem, just makes something else worse. Hence the "red wine is good for you" , "red wine is bad for you" type of debates.

Please feel free to tell me I am wrong!!

"As with dairy and meat products, the United States Food and Drug Administration,[2] World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5] American Dietetic Association,[6] American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada[6] recommend limiting the consumption of significant amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat."

"Many health organizations advise against the consumption of high amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat, including the United States Food and Drug Administration,[2] World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5] American Dietetic Association,[6] American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada[6]. "

Linda

I have received PM from another member to let me know that the statements from the above organsiations are in fact wrong and suggesting I Google "the Cholesterol Myth"

I have done this and indeed there are reports which say there is no harm in eating saturated fats and very litte risk in having high cholesterol and this is great news for me. I can now go back to eating the cheese and cream I love. Ooh and sausages! My doctor has been trying to get me to follow a lower saturated fat diet for a while to try and lower my high cholesterol, although he does not want to put me on statins.

Linda

Last edited:

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
Does anyone know if there is a way i could give mum this oil when she is in a nursing home?
I know there would be no point asking them, it just would not get communicated and I would never know if it had been given or not. Even asking is she has had meds never gets a straight answer!
Does it come in capsule form? If so I could maybe give her some at the start and end of daily visits.
Though she is in a nursing home she is physically fit and some days much sharper than me. She just reacts badly to the muddle she is in with severe mood swings and the odd smashing of furniture in a bid to escape.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I would think if it isn't prescribed by her Doctor, the nursing home will not administer it.

Also, if you are going to give it to her yourself, it is your duty to make them aware of the fact.
It has been known to cause bowel upsets.

Last edited:

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Karjo,

Mum always loves a cappucino (one of those instant ones where you just add boiling water) and in her case, a good dollop of milk and a spoon of sugar..... I am just starting to test the coconut oil, and add about three teaspoons and stir it into the hot drink. She loves this, really relishes it.

Perhaps you could have a pot kept somewhere warm in the care home (this stuff solidifies at the slightest opportunity, so airing cupboard will keep it runny)? Then when you visit, you could give her a hot drink with coconut oil, and have a hot drink yourself - that's company. This way you could watch her sipping it, and you know she has had it.

Some warn of too sudden a start up can cause tummy upsets..... so take it gradually. Mum is getting 3 tablespoons a day already, no side effects at all, and I add it to breakfast muesli, and then hot drinks throughout the day..... She knows she is taking it to improve her memory and she finds it delicious. No worries there.

Surely someone in the care home could add a couple of teaspoons to her hot drinks now and again throughout the day? Especially if you were to notice it makes her more loquatious, more upbeat?

Good luck, BE