Doll Therapy

anilow

Mar 9, 2012
My mother is 93yrs suffering from vascular dementia. She has spent the last 4yrs of her life in a nursing home. Distressing as this is, it is even more distressing when she is agitated and aggressive ( unlike her personality)
However at Christmas time my sister and I noticed how much calmer she seemed when given a teddy bear. After observing this for a few days we decided to buy a doll for mum.
The benefits have been fantastic. She is less distressed, agitated and aggressive but what is more outstanding is her ability to speak perfect sense to the doll itself. We have been able to use this as a form of communication and our times with mum are much more pleasant and interactive.
Interesting to note is my friends mum who also suffers from alzheimers and lives at home is also benefiting immensly from a doll they bought for her mum after my relating my own personal experience with mum.
We would appreciate any feedback others may feel or have experienced in connection with this form of therapy.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Anilow,

It is wonderful that a doll has given so much pleasure to a sufferer. My husband is in a CH but although he is not that way inclined I have noticed other ladies who have benefitted from having a doll.

One lady has one and she appreciates the change of clothes that are provided by the family. Its great to see someone who was so agitated becoming calm and peaceful when nursing her baby (doll).

Dolls are great but some sufferers love to have toy animals or teddy bears - whatever works is good.

Last edited:

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
I tried dad with a teddy bear that was his great grandsons when he used to stay there, but it's wasn't right, he didn't take to it.

How about this sort of thing for men.. dad was an electrician.. any ideas?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
My mother has also benefitted from doll therapy and my sister bought her her own boy and girl dolls for christmas. The other women seem to know the dolls are in her room and come in to help look after them so they are all passed around the extended family now. LOL Like you my mother seems to take great comfort from the dolls - it also seems in her mind to give her a measure of responsibility to look after them.

Kathphlox, I wonder if your dad would like a rummage box of electrical type stuff - plugs, wire, cable, an old hairdryer without a plug on perhaps, some electrical tape, that kind of thing?

Fiona

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Anilow
Welcome to TP
Oh how this brought back memories , good ones :)
My mum loved her cuddly teddies , they gave her so much confort and pleasure
Mum believed ' litlun ' (we called all her teddies litlun ) was her baby and held it ,cuddled it played with it just like a baby , mum also loved stroking the soft fur ,it also helped mum when I had to do nasty things to her like cut her nails or do her bad hand

On seeing mum with litlun a district nurse suggested a doll might be better as they look more like children , she used to give her dementia patients a doll to hug when she had to give injections etc but mum loved her teddies so we didnt change

Ive fond memories of mum in bed whispering away to litlun who was snuggled into mums neck

Iremember reading sometime ago on here about some interactive dolls/toys being made for people

mrs pepperpot

Nov 12, 2010
south wales
thats strange isnt it, my mum loves cuddly animals now, she was never interested before but loves them now, especially the christmas talking bear that moves and tells the story of the night before christmas....what ever it takes.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
settling down the family 12.11.09.jpgAlan with orang utan (2).jpg
My late husband, Alan, got great comfort from toy animals. The first picture showed his daily routine of settling down the animals. He always had dogs in his life. The second picture shows how he was comforted during sundowning.

How about this sort of thing for men.. dad was an electrician.. any ideas?
Alan took to painting even though he'd never painted in his life. He gained a sense of satisfaction from cutting up bread for the birds.

Whilst I was visiting a care home for the first time the other day, one of the residents was very upset but it was impossible to understand her language (like Alan). For some reason I knew she would be comforted by being given a cloth so that she could wipe the tables??!!! Don't ask me how I knew - I don't know. So I went to a member of staff and asked whether that lady could have a cloth because I felt she would benefit from doing something. She gave me a cloth to give to her and instantly she began wiping the tables:) We were all amazed, including me because I didn't know how I knew!?? Then later on someone told me she used to clean telephones all her life. I don't know why I'm saying this really except that it demonstrates to me that 'you never know until you try' which is what I discovered as a carer for my husband.

Love

anilow

Mar 9, 2012
To All Who have replied

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my message on Doll therapy. Many of your replies brought tears to my eyes. Its wonderful to know that others are sharing the same grief and found ways to help their loved ones.
A problem shared is a problem halved.

JoshuaTree

Jan 2, 2010
Surrey
This is amazing! Thank you for posting about this. I had forgotton that my Mum seemed to be drawn towards the kids toys (cuddly ones in particular).

I'm going to go straight out and buy her a teddy or similar for Mothers Day. :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so lovely to see those photos of Alan again Helen. It brought tears to my eyes.

When I saw one of our residents walking around with a teddy tucked under his arm I took one for Dhiren. He was really pleased when I gave it to him, he stroked it, said `Ahh! It`s nice and soft. `
Two minutes later it was down the side of his chair, forgotten. I was sorry but at least I tried.

bunnies

May 16, 2010
This is why I am 'Bunnies' (see photo). My aunt was also given a baby doll in her care home, but it never gave her the pleasure that the rabbit did - she had in her life looked after both animals and babies, but the rabbit was more real to her. The only problem we had with it was that she used to insist on feeding it, so it became a bit of a battle to remove the rabbit before mealtimes..

Donnadoobie

Oct 12, 2011
Norfolk
My mum has teddies on her bed which she takes great pleasure in and in the lounge of her care home they have lots of teddies and dolls and a huge dolls house, painted like the one they live in. I thought that was a nice touch

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I showed Martin this thread this morning before he went to work. He is the handyman for several care homes. It inspired him to take a monkey in that we had acquired recently. He spoke to the Manager and asked if he could give it to one of the residents and she said 'yes'. He just randomly picked a resident and she loved it. A few minutes later two of the residents were fighting over it:eek: We have decided to take in an assortment of things.

One of the homes bought a dolls pram and one of the residents pushes a doll around all day and it has helped her be happy and content.
Love

JoshuaTree

Jan 2, 2010
Surrey
This is why I am 'Bunnies' (see photo). My aunt was also given a baby doll in her care home, but it never gave her the pleasure that the rabbit did - she had in her life looked after both animals and babies, but the rabbit was more real to her. The only problem we had with it was that she used to insist on feeding it, so it became a bit of a battle to remove the rabbit before mealtimes..

I've come home with a floppy eared Bunny!
There were so many cuddly's to choose from and there was a lady next to me trying to choose. We got chatting and when I explained why I was looking she said she used to work with dementia patients and reccommended this soft floppy eared bunny...She said it's all in the ears :D

bunnies

May 16, 2010
I've come home with a floppy eared Bunny!
There were so many cuddly's to choose from and there was a lady next to me trying to choose. We got chatting and when I explained why I was looking she said she used to work with dementia patients and reccommended this soft floppy eared bunny...She said it's all in the ears :D

You know I think she might be right - the ears got a lot of attention! In fact I used to help her 'groom' them....

mrs pepperpot

Nov 12, 2010
south wales
what lovely photos, brought a lump to my throat. its such a comfort to know so many of us are trying so hard to make life happier and more comfortable for our loved ones, its makes me feel that im not alone. i think i might get a monkey for mum, maybe she will stop feeding the real dog to death....

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
think i might get a monkey for mum, maybe she will stop feeding the real dog to death....

Hi Mrs. Pepperpot,

That brought back some memories. Alan forgot was responsible caring for his dogs was and he used to feed them all the time and mostly with the wrong things:eek:

He did begin to feed the toy dogs but I just let him and gave them a wash afterwards;):) I actually gave him a resin dog which had it's mouth agape. I thought he would hate it because of the feel of it but he loved it. It was fine to feed this one.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
After getting involved in this train of thought again, Martin and I bought a bag full of stuffed toys for a couple of care homes. Martin took them in, waited a few days to get permission to publish the photographs, and here are a couple of residents with their new things:) stuffed toy.jpgstuffed toy 2.jpg. The toys have brought about a lot of pleasure although these photos don't really depict the reality of the situation. The lady in the first picture was the lady who was fighting with another resident over the monkey!!

Love

choccy

Jul 20, 2011
Derbyshire
Visiting my dad last night, there was a lady resident who had obv been given a cuddly dog for mothers day. This lady is usually roaming around asking for directions quite agitated etc, I couldnt believe the change in her, I admired her new 'friend' and asked his name, she looked at the label on it and said 'gus', I said he was beautiful and she thanked me and sat down and started stroking him.

Was really lovely to see her so calm.

JoshuaTree

Jan 2, 2010
Surrey
Mum has her Bunny, but I'm not sure she realised it was for her as my 5 month old niece was with us. She thought it was nice though. I unfortunately forgot to put her name on it.
I will just have to see if it's still there when I go again.