Increase in Care Home Fees 2024

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello
Just received the letter telling me parents Care Home fees to rise again by 10% this year .
Just wondered if anyone else has had notification of an increase and what it might have been ?

I understand the difficulties for the Home but it certainly focuses the mind in sorting out the money required

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, Im afraid this is what happens. Increases in costs of care homes usually increase by more than inflation as their needs increase.
Several years ago when inflation was only 2% my mums care home costs rose by 8%

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
You can easily see where the money goes. Just look at companies house records. My mothers care home spent £ 1 million on staff salaries and wages £ 1 million on lease back loan £ 700,000 on care in 2022.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Congratulate the Government increasing the Minimum wage.
Double edged sword. Great its gone up by 9.8% and it's a great shame that this effects most of the staff that look after our loved ones. They deserve more than the minimum wage.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
I am disturbed at the trend this thread is taking. Are you people seriously disputing that the minimum wage should not be increased for the poorest paid people in our society, I.e., the people who look after our loved ones? We all know that large organisations who own and control our care homes will no doubt increase costs disproportionately to provide large bonuses to themselves. I would take with a large dose of salt any figures provided by Companies House in an annual audit as it can be massaged in whatever way the directors want (For instance, I have no idea what a lease back loan is.)
Sorry if I’ve taken this the wrong way, I felt there was an inappropriate amount of sarcasm being expressed. Maybe thats just me.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I am disturbed at the trend this thread is taking. Are you people seriously disputing that the minimum wage should not be increased for the poorest paid people in our society, I.e., the people who look after our loved ones? We all know that large organisations who own and control our care homes will no doubt increase costs disproportionately to provide large bonuses to themselves. I would take with a large dose of salt any figures provided by Companies House in an annual audit as it can be massaged in whatever way the directors want (For instance, I have no idea what a lease back loan is.)
Sorry if I’ve taken this the wrong way, I felt there was an inappropriate amount of sarcasm being expressed. Maybe thats just me.
Well I agree. It's good it's gone up. My point was that care home staff should be on more than minimum wage.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Example of a lease back scheme:- Care Home Company sales its property to another Property Company that it owns for say £3 million Pounds. The Care Home Company then pays a monthly property lease fee to the Property Company of say £100,000 per month. Because the Care Home Company and Property Company are part of the same group of companies they can claim that none of these amounts are profits and therefore wont need to pay tax on them. A company is in effect leasing back a property that it sold to itself.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I would rather die than be put in a care home. Worse than a death sentence put in one of these places and abandoned
I always felt that putting PWD in care homes accelerates the condition. My mother was always calm and only occasionally agree when I would visit her in her own home. The local authority SS did the bare minimum to help keep my mother in her home.

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
I would rather die than be put in a care home. Worse than a death sentence put in one of these places and abandoned
Quite the sweeping statement and one that does not align with the experiences of many others on the forum. My mum not going into care would have been worse than a 'death sentence'. The care she receives is orders of magnitude better than what she got at home which results in a much better quality of life and she is far from abandoned.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The sweeping statement is from someone suffering from dementia which you are clearly not. Therefore you have no idea what is going on in the dementia sufferers head.
My mum was adamant that she did not want to move into a care home, but after a TIA when she was moved into a care home on a temporary basis she changed her mind and was very happy there, so she stayed there permanently

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The increase in minimum wage isn't just for the staff you see on the floor in a carehome it also applies to the ones you don't see.
Cooks, cleaners, maintenance people, gardeners and all the other "invisibles" that in their own way are part of the care package, many of who will be on min wage too.
K

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Thank you all for your comments. We all understand that this is a topic which brings up many strong emotions for members. Please bear that in mind when posting and keep comments constructive and on topic for the question asked at the top of this thread about the increase in care home fees for 2024.

KatFox

Apr 7, 2021
I got my letter today - I need to find an extra £560 per month with an increase on 8.8% - Mums only been in care since December (with 2 weeks in hospital). I am really anxious as I don't think I can afford to keep her there now. It was SUCH a hard decision to make - letting alone getting her in there - I feel really let down as my expectations were not managed by anyone at the home. - I also feel stupid for not knowing this would happen. She is thriving in care - and I want it to continue - and don't really know what to do now.