Finally- peace

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
From my earlier post saying how suddenly my brother’s condition accelerated, today he finally passed.
Fortunately I spent the morning with him. His hands became cold, his breathing fast, irregular and noisy. The care home nurses said it probably wouldn’t be long and administered morphine and a sedative. They were so caring and comforting. I don’t think he knew I was there.
He passed later this afternoon some 4 hours later. It was peaceful and so final.
The grief hit me hard immediately, despite knowing this was going to happen. It was a mixture of sorrow and relief that his suffering was over.
Thank you to all on this website for the advice, comforting support and sharing.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for your loss @Brother47, with this awful illness I'm glad that your Brother's passing was peaceful.
Take care

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
From my earlier post saying how suddenly my brother’s condition accelerated, today he finally passed.
Fortunately I spent the morning with him. His hands became cold, his breathing fast, irregular and noisy. The care home nurses said it probably wouldn’t be long and administered morphine and a sedative. They were so caring and comforting. I don’t think he knew I was there.
He passed later this afternoon some 4 hours later. It was peaceful and so final.
The grief hit me hard immediately, despite knowing this was going to happen. It was a mixture of sorrow and relief that his suffering was over.
Thank you to all on this website for the advice, comforting support and sharing.
I'm very sorry for your loss Brother47, and I think that, no matter how much we think we are prepared, the end is as you say so final. In time, you will hopefully gain comfort from the fact that you did all you could to be a loving brother x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry for your loss @Brother47.

I’m glad that your brother is now at peace. Wishing you strength for the days and weeks to come.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Sincere condolences for your loss. He is at peace now and I hope that brings you some comfort.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
I am so sorry for your loss @Brother47 . I'm glad it was a peaceful passing. You must now be kind to yourself. You have been a wonderful brother.
Thank you Gosling. Yes, I was relived that it was so peaceful. I'm his sister by the way, which really doesn't matter. Wouldn't expect you to know that from my pen name on here. I chose the name in reference to him. Thank you for caring.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
I'm very sorry for your loss Brother47, and I think that, no matter how much we think we are prepared, the end is as you say so final. In time, you will hopefully gain comfort from the fact that you did all you could to be a loving brother x
Thank you Sonya1. Yes it felt so very final. I'm his sister by the way - which really doesn't matter. I don't know why but I chose my pen name on here to reflect my brother. It seemed right at the time. I think my head was in a confused place. I have lots of memories of my brother which is great and will for sure, be a huge comfort to me. I have to say that his care home were absolutely brilliant in how they dealt with the last week.