A Miracle has happened

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Wanted to share some fantastic news with you all. My mum has vascular dementia and has lived in a care home for a couple of years. In August she fell while at the zoo and broke her hip. Less than 3 months later she is walking unaided and something has happened in the last couple of weeks which has reinstated her ability to speak and form conversations. She hasnt really been able to have a conversation for well over a year and we are absolutely flabergasted. She is engaging and asking questions and very happy. Has anyone ever heard of this happening to their loved one????

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
Yes, I had a similar experience with my mum last year, she banged her head somehow (we weren't there to see it happen but witnessed the aftermath of blood all over the house and herself), she had no idea she'd done anything to herself but strangely enough for the following few weeks she was talking better than ever she had in the past couple of years and seemed to be able to ask us questions that made sense too. Sadly this 'miracle' only lasted a maximum of four weeks but we were amazed by it too.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Not totally the same bit still took us by surprise after dad had come round from an operation he had around 4 hours of clarity...our names, place names, coherent conversation but gradually the mist descended and clarity was gone not to return. However just these few hours even though the circumstances were not great for him being in hospital, now he has gone, Are a joy for me to remember. Enjoy the moment while it lasts for however long

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
What wonderful news! I have heard of this before but not witnessed it. Make the most of this lovely reprieve. X

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
What lovely moments for you, perhaps there is someone up there after all giving us that little moment that we can remember how our loved ones were. We can but hope.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Hi yes we are enjoying every moment especially since her operation and rehab during which she was refusing to eat and drink and we thought she was on a downward spiral. She said nothing for months other than no. To hear her proper voice and speaking sentences is an absolute joy although we are preparing ourselves for the fact that it may not last for long. We have our mum back for now and long may it last!

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
That is probably the best news I have heard in a while!

The context is that I still strongly believe that dementia is about biochemistry in the brain and therefore is possible to be reversed.

Now reversal meaning improved symptoms, not necessarily changes in the pathology of the brain.

In truth I suspect that these changes to your mum will not last but it indicates that there is a way to change the direction of the disease.

This gives hope to everyone who has a loved one with dementia.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
In some ways...this is what keeps us going. That our loved ones are ‘still in there’. I am so happy for you, and it’s a brilliant idea to make a video.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
I will keep you all informed. Its been about 2/3 weeks so far and everything is crossed for many more to come. It has been quite gradual and she is now using words and vocabulary that we havent heard for a long time. The funny thing is that it was about 2 months post surgery/accident that she suddenly started to improve. We just dont know what has happened. The only changes are that she is still on a small dose of paracetamol and also calcium and folic acid. Maybe they have done something????

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
That is a good sign.

I suspect they would not have put her on folic acid if she was not deficient at the time.

This means that her apparent dementia could have been as a result of a vitamin depletion. Once replaced the symptoms may not come back!

My suggestion from here on would be to presume that she may also be deficient in other vitamins and trace elements. Give her a simple multivitamin as well and a good broad diet with lots of fish as part of it.

Your success could be an inspiration for many others.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Quick update. All still good. Took some old photos in today and mum said oh what a lovely smiley photo of my mum and dad. Long may it last Also she told us today that she has a really bad memory!

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
My mum's condition seems to be improving on a daily basis. I wish we knew why as we could help so many people. She is so chatty. She has used more vocabulary in the last week than she has used for years. Her mental health assessment from October concluded that she had no capacity with simple/complex decision making and was unable to verbalise or weigh up information with no evidence of understanding what was being discussed. She tells us when we see her that her memory is not very good. How has this happened. Every time we go we cant believe what we are seeing and hearing. I am sharing this as I would like to give other people some hope. It really does seem like something has switched her brain on again. She is not agitated or wandering and just looks so happy and content. Does anyone think we should get the Mental Health team to assess her again just so they can see what has happened or would be just be wasting their time. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I am so glad for you.

I don't see any harm in keeping the doctors informed, and think they would want to know, but others here might have other advice to offer?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I am so glad it is continuing. How lovely for you. It cannot do any harm having the team look at Mum...so long as she doesn’t mind. Maybe they will have heard of this happening before?

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
I have spoken to the Mental Health nurse who reported my mum had no cognitive function. She is going to see her on Tuesday. Will be interesting to see what she says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gill Fowler