Has anyone tried a Riviera bathlift?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
The Council loaned us an Archimedes bath seat. It does indeed help me to get my wife into and out of the bath but because of its very upright back it is impossible for her to lie back in the bath for the kind of 'good soak' that many people, us included, would see as the point of having a bath. It is also impossible to wash parts of the body that need washing whilst you are sitting down in that position. I deal with this by getting her to stand up and using the hand shower. A further disappointment is that as the seat is still some way from the bottom of the bath you are sticking up out of the water and even with the bathwater close to the overflow, the water does not come very high up the body.

A visitor from the moving and handling team said that the Riviera has a reclining back which sounds a lot more useful. A quick look online confirms that some at least of the Riviera seats do have a reclining back. I would be interested to hear pros and cons from anyone who has used one.

Thanks

Last edited:

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I haven't seen this one before but wonder how useful it would be if your wife's mobility worsens and she can't swivel round on it or lift her legs to get in the bath. You know her best and can predict how this is going to develop.

Just had a quick google and came across this: http://www.warrington.gov.uk/downloads/file/1329/riviera_bath_lift-instruction_manual It looks quite complicated to me but I don't get on all that well with any kind of machine.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Looked at both on web and indeed they both require user to be able to turn through90degrees themselves with legs in air. A more long term solution would be like the hoist they use in day centres and homes but again back is straight. A chair seat that lifts the user and then turns them and lowers them using a remote control. Very good but with price to match. The bath may need to be larger as the day centre one is massive. It allows the rear part to be soaked and then needs to be wiped after. Maybe they make a chair with hole in to allow this. Haven't seen one, would be something for the students wanting advice for theses! Only drawback is if you use something like ce tragen as it is slippery under seat!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Many thanks Oxy and Peggy. At the moment, there's no problem about getting the legs in. I help her to lift the left leg in, she then stands up and lifts the other one in. When we're finished she can step out if the bath herself. I hold her hands as she does so but if and when the promised grab-rails materialise I don't think I'll even need to do that. It may well also help with getting into the bath but getting out would probably still require some sort of seat.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Many thanks Oxy and Peggy. At the moment, there's no problem about getting the legs in. I help her to lift the left leg in, she then stands up and lifts the other one in. When we're finished she can step out if the bath herself. I hold her hands as she does so but if and when the promised grab-rails materialise I don't think I'll even need to do that. It may well also help with getting into the bath but getting out would probably still require some sort of seat.

My friend was supplied with a inflatable seat for the bath it meant she could get right to the bottom of the bath and soak ,like this one
http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodID=3537

We had the electric one with the upright back and it was cumbersome and you can't get far down into the bath, I would think the riviera adjustable back one would be the same, my sister has one and the back doesn't go very far down x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks jeany - very helpful.

I wonder if all the Riviera lifts recline to the same extent? I expect so.

The moving and handling people recommended the Disability Living Centres (run by a charity) where you can get impartial advice and even try some things out:

http://www.disabledliving.co.uk/Home

I'm planning to visit and may have a look at inflatable cushions.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Just checked out the inflatable bath lift, would suit my mum down to the ground!! Its perfect, but the cost!!?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes, it seems an awful lot to pay for what is basically a balloon.:)

But, there again, it might be just the thing and, so long as it can't be punctured easily, it might be worth it.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Yes, it seems an awful lot to pay for what is basically a balloon.:)

But, there again, it might be just the thing and, so long as it can't be punctured easily, it might be worth it.

very unlikely to be punctured it's very strong and thick material,

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Our OT said the inflatable bath things were not a good idea as they weren't very stable and the person might not be able to balance on them. At one time, I even thought about a walk-in bath but it soon became too late even for that. We could have had our bathroom adapted into a wet room, losing the bath and just having a shower. That may have been a good idea as then Mum could have sat on a seat under the shower. No good for having a nice soak though!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I doubt if there's any perfect solution. I suppose until you tried an inflatable you wouldn't know if it would work for you.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I doubt if there's any perfect solution. I suppose until you tried an inflatable you wouldn't know if it would work for you.

It worked well for friend, she had no problems and thought it was wonderful as she hadn't been able to have a bath for ages but as you say it's different for everyone,

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It worked well for friend, she had no problems and thought it was wonderful as she hadn't been able to have a bath for ages but as you say it's different for everyone,

I think the inflatable looks good and better than the Arcimaedes I have experience with. It looks as if it pumps right up to edge of the bath , a handrail on the side of the bath is important, but if it allows the user to be fully submerged , well almost;) then it is a much better experience for the bather. I would find it very difficult if I didn't have a bath, being in water is very therapeutic. Like all things though you don't know till you've tried and you don't want to spend that much to try something. It would be good if they were available to borrow.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Would the occupational therapist not loan you one they did for my friend,

Going to ring them tomorrow. Mum is still reasonably mobile, although I don't let her get in and out of bath without my help, she sooooo misses a good old soak in hot bubbly water. The system we have a moment is not good, its just a flat seat across the top of the bath and all I have is tap mixer shower.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I mentioned my quest to see if we could find something that would give my wife something approaching a proper bath experience - which she used to enjoy - to an Occupational Therapist. She gave the idea short shrift and suggested that it was all about keeping clean. I do ensure that my wife is kept clean and the Archimedes does provide a safe way of getting into the bath though my wife can still step out by herself at the moment.

But what is wrong with trying to find a way to get closer to a normal bath experience - lying back and wallowing? I think anything that gives pleasure to a PWD is worth pursuing. Though I realise that eventually all these things will probably go, isn't that all the more reason for trying to find ways of clinging on to them?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We spent a fortune on a Mobility bath, simply because my husband loved a bath and it was something I could do to make his life more enjoyable.

We had a rep from a national well known company round who demonstrated what was available. The most expensive proved the most suitable and so we threw caution to the winds and had it installed.

I`m so glad I did. It gave my husband 18 months of pleasurable baths before he went into residential care and now I have dodgy knees and back problems it`s a godsend to me.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm glad to hear that Sylvia, and it's great that you're able to benefit too.

Bathing is more than just washing.

Thanks.