Wont let Dentures be put in

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
PWD suddenly wont let dentures be put in. Care home seems to be happy not to find out way, should I ask them to get a dentist to assess or let them sort it out?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
It might be an idea to get PWDs gums checked for infection otherwise it might just be that the PWD has decided that they do not want to use the dentures. These things happen.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum sometimes refuses to let carers put her dentures in, I tried a couple of times but got a slap for my efforts.

I have to pick the battles I know I have a reasonable chance of winning, difficult I know

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It might be that there is a physical reason behind their refusal, and certainly worth getting the person's mouth/gums checked for this - but it might also be that they don't believe that the dentures are theirs.

My husband had two false front teeth on a plate from the age of 16, following a sporting accident.

Unfortunately, there came a time 46 years later and three years into his dementia journey that he refused to believe they were anything to do with him and heaven help anyone who might try to help him install them.

Like Jale, I picked my battles and let this one go.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
It might be an idea to get PWDs gums checked for infection otherwise it might just be that the PWD has decided that they do not want to use the dentures. These things happen.
I have read online that the medication can affect gums etc, I know on the care plan they noted last year that the dentures were black with something.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Mum hasn’t worn hers for a year now. We do try from time to time but she does not like them and I think her mouth has changed a lot now. She managed perfectly well for quite a while but now she forgets to swallow her food , so if it is not blended she ends up with cheeks like a hamster.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Mum hasn’t worn hers for a year now. We do try from time to time but she does not like them and I think her mouth has changed a lot now. She managed perfectly well for quite a while but now she forgets to swallow her food , so if it is not blended she ends up with cheeks like a hamster.
I am just concerned that it makes it too easy for the Care Home as an excuse not to maintain personnel care.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Well all I can say is that my mums personal care is exemplary in all aspects , she just did not want to have her teeth in and took them out as soon as anyone helped her put them in. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Well all I can say is that my mums personal care is exemplary in all aspects , she just did not want to have her teeth in and took them out as soon as anyone helped her put them in. 🤷🏼‍♀️
As its just happened, it could be something to do with infection