NEW CARE ASSISTANT JOB - Need tips/guidance/advice

LadyLouise

Jul 14, 2022
Hi I’m both a family caregiver and work professionally as a care assistant. I‘m impressed by the passion you’re bringing to this important work! Dementia requires us to think laterally all the time. The key is distracting and diverting unwanted behaviours instead of discouraging. However kindly you ask someone to stop doing something, it may not make sense to them. It may even make the person feel bad. So in the example you gave, could you find an alternative activity to keep the lady occupied While the activity is in progress? Maybe you could start her off folding a pile of napkins, now that you know she responds well to that activity. Or if she’s disrupting a game by throwing things on the floor, could you give her a box of random objects or sensory toys that she can busy herself with and even throw them on the floor if she wants to? Could she be on your ’team’ in the game, where you sit next to her and you assist her to roll the dice, etc.? Sometimes if a pwd is doing something with their hands that I want to divert them from, I ask them very seriously if they could help me by holding an ‘important’ object for me and looking after it. Then periodically thank and praise them for doing that. A small cuddly toy can work well. With your passion for your job, I’m sure that workarounds for situations like this will come naturally to you you in no time at all.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Hi I’m both a family caregiver and work professionally as a care assistant. I‘m impressed by the passion you’re bringing to this important work! Dementia requires us to think laterally all the time. The key is distracting and diverting unwanted behaviours instead of discouraging. However kindly you ask someone to stop doing something, it may not make sense to them. It may even make the person feel bad. So in the example you gave, could you find an alternative activity to keep the lady occupied While the activity is in progress? Maybe you could start her off folding a pile of napkins, now that you know she responds well to that activity. Or if she’s disrupting a game by throwing things on the floor, could you give her a box of random objects or sensory toys that she can busy herself with and even throw them on the floor if she wants to? Could she be on your ’team’ in the game, where you sit next to her and you assist her to roll the dice, etc.? Sometimes if a pwd is doing something with their hands that I want to divert them from, I ask them very seriously if they could help me by holding an ‘important’ object for me and looking after it. Then periodically thank and praise them for doing that. A small cuddly toy can work well. With your passion for your job, I’m sure that workarounds for situations like this will come naturally to you you in no time at all.
Thank you very much for your wise words and sound advice. Will think about what you said when I am next in work.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Personally I find all of this very helpful as a personal caregiver. I had a loving childhood but was strictly disciplined and I am afraid I never learnt any if the above techniques. Looking back I could have been a much better parent if I’d known so of these, having to learn now though, as you say saying ‘No’, or sending to room are not workable with OH. 🤭

LadyLouise

Jul 14, 2022
Thank you very much for your wise words and sound advice. Will think about what you said when I am next in work.
I have found the work of an American Dementia educator Teepa Snow to be really helpful. She has loads of free videos on her website and YouTube. Your positive attitude is your most important asset, you will be excellent 😊