My sister has been diagnosed at 53

HMack

Feb 29, 2024
Hi all, my sister was diagnosed a few weeks ago with Alzheimer's at the age of 53. Her cognitive ability and memory have been deteriorating for some time but the diagnosis is a brutal shock. She has complex health issues and had a brain tumour as a child. Is anyone else in this position? Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome HMack.
My wife got early onset AZ, my 50th birthday present to her was to tell her to quit work, Id pay the bills.
I put it down to the menopause and buried my head in the sand, but did get her to see the doctor.
Once she quit work she seemed to get better so much so for a while she took a job at a local shop, then my mum became ill and came to live with us, mum got better as my wife got worst, mum late 80s became the brains of the operation.
I don't suppose the childhood illness helped, but early onset isn't as uncommon as people think.
Good luck and keep posting. K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @HMack and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your sister. Unlike @Kevinl I don't have any direct experience of this as my wife was in her 70s when she was diagnosed. I am sure that you will find a lot of support here. This link might be helpful:

Last edited:

Sarahkb

Apr 3, 2022
Hi my husband is 50 and was diagnosed 2 years ago. It’s been very hard finding support for him, particularly in the early days. Everything is set up for older people. It’s just such a cruel and horrible disease.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi my husband is 50 and was diagnosed 2 years ago. It’s been very hard finding support for him, particularly in the early days. Everything is set up for older people. It’s just such a cruel and horrible disease.
Totally agree. K

HMack

Feb 29, 2024
So sorry about your experience. Yes, I watched my Dad go through vascular dementia and it seems very cruel that my sister now has this and at such a young age. Are there any care providers for younger people? Or are you able to manage at home? Thanks

HMack

Feb 29, 2024
Hello and welcome HMack.
My wife got early onset AZ, my 50th birthday present to her was to tell her to quit work, Id pay the bills.
I put it down to the menopause and buried my head in the sand, but did get her to see the doctor.
Once she quit work she seemed to get better so much so for a while she took a job at a local shop, then my mum became ill and came to live with us, mum got better as my wife got worst, mum late 80s became the brains of the operation.
I don't suppose the childhood illness helped, but early onset isn't as uncommon as people think.
Good luck and keep posting. K
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about your wife- It’s all very tough. Thanks again

Sarahkb

Apr 3, 2022
So sorry about your experience. Yes, I watched my Dad go through vascular dementia and it seems very cruel that my sister now has this and at such a young age. Are there any care providers for younger people? Or are you able to manage at home? Thanks
It has been an incredibly difficult fight to get any appropriate support. Literally nothing as a lot of places he was too young for or they were appropriate settings but would t take him because he had dementia not learning difficulties or a mental health diagnosis. He has supper workers that take him out for a few hours a day but this is literally for a coffee or shops. He now divides his time between residential nursing care and at home, alternative weeks really due to his care and support needs and sadly, me not being able to meet those plus the needs of two small children.

HMack

Feb 29, 2024
It has been an incredibly difficult fight to get any appropriate support. Literally nothing as a lot of places he was too young for or they were appropriate settings but would t take him because he had dementia not learning difficulties or a mental health diagnosis. He has supper workers that take him out for a few hours a day but this is literally for a coffee or shops. He now divides his time between residential nursing care and at home, alternative weeks really due to his care and support needs and sadly, me not being able to meet those plus the needs of two small children.
So sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing - helpful to know, even if it sounds like a battlefield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bronskibeat