I really did let my mum down

JJWB

Aug 10, 2009
I have just registered. My mum died last week and I let her down badly and I will never forgive myself.

She started showing signs of memory loss around the time a brother died of cancer about 6 years ago. She was a stubborn person who would not go to the doctor over anything, and certainly didn't when I suggested she get things checked. As time went on she became moody and more absent minded. She spent a lot of time on her own - although my dad was there, he spent a lot of time either in bed or down his shed. They never had a perfect marriage, argued from time to time, sometimes wondered why they ever got together in the first place, let alone have 5 children.

I don't live far away but as my son grew older, I spent less time visiting them. I used to go around there all the time when my son was born and I guess it tailed off over the years as he went to school. I could have seen more of her though. My dead brother lived at home and when he was there he used to take mum shopping all over the place, sometimes I would tag along.

As she got worse in the past few years I selfishly didn't go and visit very much. I was afraid of her - afraid of my own ageing mum - she could get very nasty, and I heard, violent; she didn't know I was her daughter, she kept saying about going home to live with her mum (my nan). But dad was there and eventually carers were arranged, so I thought she was being looked after. But I think dad was telling me what he thought I wanted to hear, so as not to worry me.

We kept saying to dad she needed to be in a home which could cope with her condition - the carers were useless, didn't keep her clean - she became doubly incontinent - even lied about what they had done, and when they did come were in and out in 5 minutes. Some looked about 15 years old. But dad still insisted he wanted her at home, but I think it was for selfish reasons. He still stayed in bed a lot, and she, I now know, was getting up to all sorts, putting the electric kettle on the gas hob for example. Thank goodness they had a brilliant neighbour who became a carer to her as well. But I should have been doing that job. Things are alway easier in hindsight.

She had to go into hospital 3 weeks ago as she had a fall and didn't look right - a carer arranged it as the carer before her had not been to dress her etc. It was found she had a water infection, constipation and dehydration. She had very swollen legs which had been a constant problem - the GP refused to visit as he 'couldn't get any sense out of her'.

I did visit her in hospital when she was 'with it'but she was asleep a couple of times anyway. My brothers, father, care manager and doctors had a meeting about her future as she was now well enough to leave hospital so the next step was sought. They arranged the meeting when I was away, which I was annoyed about. No firm decision was made. If a care plan had been put in place she would have left hospital. She suddenly took a turn then and they suddenly announced she had a chest and kidney infection and was dying. They decided to stop all feed/water and medication. Whatever the hospital explanation to me, I still feel she was being starved to death and told them so. She lasted 3 days longer than they said and was not really with it up until she died but I spent as much time as I could at the hospital, but she died early in the morning alone. NOW dad says he thinks a home would have been better. I could hear other women on the ward being just like mum, but they used two of them to bath someone etc and that is what mum should have had at home and she wouldn't have caught the infections.

I know I have gone on and on and I apologise for the length of this post. my husband says I couldn't have changed the worsening dementia but what sort of daughter am I? I was at the hospital as much as possible when dad decided he didn't want to know and thought if he wasn't there or didn't call, it wasn't happening. I do blame him a bit for not putting her before himself in the first place - but I should have insisted he consider nursing care/home but my brothers said no one would do anything without his say so as he is next of kin.

I don't know what I am hoping for from this post - certainly not forgiveness from anyone, but maybe to tell others to act before it is too late. Thank you if you have taken the time to read this.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there. You've had an awful time of it. I think it's easy to look back on events now and think about what you might have done differently. I don't think you're an awful daughter by any means. My own situation is not as bad as yours was and I know how hard it can be to cope. Sorry - not much help to you but I just wanted to say don't be too hard on yourself. Izzy

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello JJWB.....

A warm welcome to Talking Point..although I'm so sorry that circumstances in which you have found us are so sad.

I don't know what I am hoping for from this post
..Well for a start I do hope you feel better for writing down how you feel and sharing it with others.

It's always easy with hindsight...isn't it..and I have to admire you for wanting to share what you see as a failure in yourself in order to make others aware.

My mum died last week and I let her down badly and I will never forgive myself.
I think you're still grieving. It's very early days.. There were many others involved in mum's care...even had you tried to become more involved it's quite possible that you couldn't have changed a thing.

Please stop being so hard on yourself.

Love xx

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
HI JJWB

Sadness, anger, guilt are all absolutely natural and normal feelings to have when we are grieving. Please don't be so hard on yourself. Easy to say, I know, but we don't have dress rehearsals prior to such sad events.Dementia must be one of the hardest illnesses to deal with, not least by the sufferer but from a caring point of view also.
None of us are perfect and we muddle through as best we can. Nobody here will sit in judgement but everyone will feel for you.​

Regards Hazel

Rosie

Jun 10, 2004
South East Wales, UK.
I have just read your posting and it sounds as though you & your family have had a bad time of things. Sorry to hear about your Mam & brother. But reading your words about maybe you could have done more i think we all go through this. My Mam was only 60 yrs old when she was admitted to an assesment unit and never came home, she is still in the same Hospital but now on a ward for all care patients, when my mam went into the hospital we never thought that she would still be there 10 yrs later. My father did most of the caring for my mam & we as a family, i have an older sister & two younger brothers didnt know anything was wrong until my dad couldnt cope anymore & even then our GP said that my mam was having mini stroke's but he was wrong! I wish we could have kept my mam at home, i still feel sad that she had to admitted when she was but at the time there didn't seem to be any other option. The support that was given before my mam was admitted was practically non existent. I visit when i can & some visit's are easier on my heart than others but the guilt never goes away. Go easy on youself and take care, luv Rosie x x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi JJWB and welcome to Talking Point from me too :)

Isn't hindsight just a wonderful thing. And those two most often used words in the English language "if only". All anyone can do is what seems to be the best at the time for whatever reason.

Maybe you should have helped more...but maybe if you had things wouldn't have been any different. Maybe they'd have been worse. Guilt is part of grieving (and caring!) and I suspect that if you didn't feel you'd let your mum down over this, then it would be something else. Grief is a multi-faceted beast and it's difficult to think logically when all that "stuff" is sloshing around. Not a very technical way to describe it but I think it suits.

I don't think you have let your mum down at all but I can understand why you feel you have. Let it all out here and hopefully you will find some comfort in talking to us.

Vonny xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
There were many others involved in mum's care...even had you tried to become more involved it's quite possible that you couldn't have changed a thing.

Please stop being so hard on yourself.

Love xx

I would like to endorse Gigi's comments here. Your mum's GP doesn't sound as if he or she was too anxious to look out for your mum. I'm really sorry for your losses. You've taken a brave step to post on here. I'm sorry that we didn't reach you earlier.
Love Deborah

jackie place

Aug 4, 2009
eccles manchester
Hi

I have just read your posting and feel that you have done everything possible for your Mum I am so sorry that you are feeling let down, but remember you have friends here, I have only recenlty joined the TP as my husband is only 62 I feel as though I am not getting enough help etc So any advise would be very welcome take care Love to you jackie x x x

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi JJWB

(((((((Hugs))))))))

It is a hard place to be. Take comfort in that you did what you were able to do at that time. At that time it was right and it is only with the gift of hindsight that you would change it.

Your family ensured that there were carers visiting and with the GP's attitude it would be difficult for you to know what to do.
You were busy with your son, and I know, as a mother, how hectic life becomes when they start school. I sometimes think that it is easier when they are tiny. Visiting when you have childcare problems as well can be awful. The HV told me when my sons were born that no matter how bad Mum got I had to put the boys first as they were the future. It helped alleviate my guilt at not always being able to be there.

The chest infection etc. might have happened anyway, it might have been worse eleswhere. The thing is we never know, we just have to accept it as it is. At the root of it is missing your Mum, not the lady of recent years but the lady she was, the Mum you enjoyed spending the time with.

It is OK to grieve for her, she wasn't going to return no matter what had happened.

It is hard in the early days to reach acceptance but we are here should you need to rant or talk.

Love

Mameeskye

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Hi

Well you are not going to get any forgivness from me, because there is nothing to forgive. You could have gone in all guns blazing and got your mum into a home, but that wasnt what either she or your dad wanted.

I dont think there is a single person on this forum who doesnt think they could do more, so guess what, none of us are perfect. I have my mum living with me and I care for her, but I know I dont give her nearly enough time, just talking, because I always find other things to do.

For me, going to an Alzheimers Carers meeting once a month and "confessing" is very theraputic. Hopefully posting on here will help you.

Dont waste any more energy playing the "Blame Game". It helps no one. Your mum's suffering is over now. Its your dad who will need your help in the weeks/months to come. He is the one who is going to be struggling with all sorts of emotions, especially if they didnt have the happiest of marriages, whilst will make it harder for him.

Look forward, remember the mum you loved, make time for your dad, and cherish every moment with your own family.

Take care.

Sue

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi

Welcome to TP, it is a shame you have just found us, and I hope writing it all down has helped you in some small way.

It does seem to me that your parents lived the life they wanted to, maybe not perfect in your eyes, but no doubt they rubbed along OK.

Its very very early days for you to come to terms with your loss, and we all go through the 'what if's', but honestly it doesnt change anything.

All you can do now is support each other as a family, we none of us have any control over the way dementia robs us of our loved ones, the end result is always the same, the only thing that is different for all of us is the journey and heart ache along the way.

Be kind to yourself.
Cate

JJWB

Aug 10, 2009
Thank you everyone who took the time to read and reply to my post - I am very grateful for your kind words, although I don't feel at the moment I deserve them.

One week on and the funeral has been arranged but not for another week and a bit. There has been problems re family and I have come to realise that my idea of family is not what other members obviously think. I have come to the conclusion that all that matters is my husband and son, my own little family unit. I don't want to bore everyone with the details but suffice to say I have been made to feel not a very important member of the family, but I have had that feeling for a very long time - I am still treated like a stupid little sister, so I may as well act like one. I have to keep making allowances for how others deal with the situation, but it is not reciprocated.

Anyway, I am trying to do good by my mum now and make sure the funeral is how she would have wanted.

Take care all, my thoughts are with you, however dementia has affected your lives.

jackie place

Aug 4, 2009
eccles manchester
Hi

Your thoughts are with me today as I have just been to see my Mum who is 82 yrs old in a Nursing home and she is getting to be a bit muddled up.

The family think that she is starting with dementia and its heart breaking when I have to go but tonight she said to me that I did not have to go in and see her every day ( I think that she gets fed up with me) But I do enjoy going she might not say much as she falls asleep alot but as least I go.

So please do not be too hard on yourself God will be with you and all your friends look after yourself and your famil, hope that this weekend get abut better love you jackie x x x x

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
Hi
Please don't let those guilt monsters get to you, life has to go on, nothing you could have done would probably have changed the outcome, alzheimers is a slow killer of the whole family. Take heart and stay strong.
Starshine x

melisha

Jul 3, 2009
Yorkshire UK
Guilt

During the last four years I have lost three close members of my family and have felt guilty over all of them for different reasons. Those words "if only" going round and round in my brain. Logically of course we cannot be responsible for the lives of others. I now have a guilt feeling which surpasses everything that has gone before as my husband has severe dementia/parkinsons. Should I have acted sooner when I treated his odd behaviour as strange but nothing to worry about? Would it have made a difference if medical help had been sought earlier? People say probably not and that feeling guilty is just part of the human condition which manifests itself no matter what we do or don't do when faced with loss.

I am so sorry you have been through such a traumatic emotional time and hope you will soon get your own life back on track.

Very best to you.

melisha

redworth

Sep 27, 2009
Wrexham
hello

My mother,died from multi infarct dementia. I felt sad about it. I couldn't get on with my step-dad so visited only infrequently.

After she died I thought about what I could have done to help her whilst she was alive. I came to the conclusion that nothing I could do would help her.

She appeared to be happy in her world. My step-dad did what he could and my half-brother helped.

I, like you, felt guilty afterward and it wasn't till I sat down and thought about the situation that the guilt disappeared.

So one stage of the grieving process was over.

The other stages came and went and althouhg I still have thoughts and memories of my mother these are no longer painful.

As you go through the grieving process you too will come to realise that you did what you could and things will get better for you.

Keep your chin up

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
my mum died last Friday and the guilt of not acting in time and staying with her is overwhelming me.
You have nothing to be guilty about please don't let it consume you as it has me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear @Jane3. you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. If you don`t believe me, just read through your posts leading up to your mum dying.

This is grief talking.