Eye Tests

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone
I recently took my OH to Specsavers for his yearly eye test and had pre-warned them that he has Alzheimer’s and may have difficulty processing information etc.
I went in with him and the test got underway but when it came to the part that he had to cover one eye then tell the lady whether his vision was better with lenses A or B, he was totally confused. The lady was very patient and kept repeating the question but I’m not convinced my OH could actually differentiate between the two, so the result being she said his sight had declined.
I’m not sure whether to try and get a second opinion but wondered whether anyone knows of anywhere that I could take him that has experience with patients with AZ and performs the test in a different way.
His eye sight seems ok and I don’t want to spend money on updated glasses if his current ones are ok.
Dads Carehome use a mobile service that comes to the home and they set everything up to look like a shop and keep it looking the same way so that for future visits they become familiar with the service. They asked me all about dad’s interests, previous employment etc and what he uses his eyes for mainly. This was in Scotland though and all handled by the care home.