Coping with bereavement

Peters wife

Apr 2, 2024
Hello I’m Eileen,I was married for 75 happy years ,I have been caring for Peter for the past three years with Alzheimer’s,at home but lost him to COVID a week after his 98th birthday,,
I am coping reasonably well but struggling with the fact that he died thinking that I had left him,and although he said I”look just like her”I was another Eileen.. not ”his Eileen”I just can’t get it out of my mind and move on,I am 94 and can talk about him and look at all our photos with a smile,but this is so sad,has anyone else dealt with the similar problem?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Peters wife

To be married for 75 years is a wonderful achievement and of course the loss of Peter has left you feeling sad.

I doubt he will have thought you had left him if he had covid. He would probably have been too poorly to think of anything.

I hope you get some comfort from others on the forum who have also suffered loss.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Peters wife.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It must indeed be incredibly difficult for you given how long you had been together. You are among people who understand here and I hope you find it a comfort to share with us.

It’s a real cliche but time really does change our grief. I lost my husband 8 years ago and I find I now think back on our happy times rather than the last days and weeks of his dementia.