Activities tips for newbie co-ordinator.

Artysparkle

Sep 23, 2023
I have just started work as an activities co ordinator in a small care home. This is a new challenge for me and I'm feeling a little anxious about my role.
Alot of the residents are in their 90's and alot have varying forms of dementia. Can anyone suggest some activities that may be suitable. I have been volunteering locally with a day centre but most of the clients are more able,so some of those activities won't be possible.
I'm trying to find out as much as possible about each resident by chatting(I love hearing about their lives) and I've had a short induction from the previous coordinator. I have got some ideas for reminiscence etc.
I've found my first few days emotionally draining and I want to do my best to improve their lives.
Any advice would be great.
Thank you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Artysparkle.

You might find this recent thread of interest -

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Artysparkle and welcome. My mum is in a care home where they have various activities, although as you have already identified not all activities will be appropriate for everyone, depending on their level of dementia. My mum is now at the stage where she is happy to listen to music and watch others do activities but doesn't take part much herself, although does like sensory type things like holding balls etc which have different textures. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by getting to know the residents individually but bear in mind not all will want to take part in activities and sometimes too much 'sensory overload' is not good. In my mum's home the activities team will often visit residents in their rooms and sometimes do their nails or massage in hand cream or sometimes just sit and read. There was a thread here recently from someone who was asking the same question so you may find some useful tips in this thread, including links to various resources:

Edited: Posted at the same time as Izzy!

Artysparkle

Sep 23, 2023
Thank you for your comments, I shall have a read. I am the only activities person so I'm just a little worried I wont be able to help everyone. There are several residents who don't come out of their rooms so I know I will be doing one to one quite a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bronskibeat