Wife went from fully functioning/no symptoms to full blown dementia in 3-months

OldTiredSailor

Oct 19, 2022
New Here -I am very impressed with the thoughtful replies and valuable information I find here. I understand a fair amount since I did a graduate degree in clinical psychology and then another in neurophysiology. But, I am in no way equipped or prepared to deal with my wife of 48-years who has been diagnosed with rapid onset dementia and Major Depressive Disorder.

Late May this year 66-year old wife fell and suffered several fractures. In mid-June she fractured her spine. She was prescribed many opioids, muscle relaxants, anti-depressants, anti-nausea meds. Early July had kyphoplasty surgery to repair spine. She suffered several adverse side effects due to drug interactions and her hypersensitivity to opioids. She has suffered three prior life threating head traumas with two near death episodes. She has also suffered seven fractures resulting in seven major surgeries in the last eight years.

Prior to the fall she was brilliant, athletic, highly educated women who was providing full care to me after my total knee replacement. She did all the shopping, house keeping, driving, appointment management. I had seen no signs of mental decline, forgetfulness, or any indicator of dementia.

By late July she was a zombie with severe cognitive disabilities, total loss of person, time, or place. She is now very confused, refuses to talk, won't eat or drink and refuses all medication. Her weight has dropped from 93-pounds (42 kg) to 65 pounds (29 kg) with a height of 65-inches (1.6m). She is a former body builder and elite long distance runner.

August Brain MR I(w/wo contrast)I and EEG studies found no organic problems.

She OD'd on Hydrocodone (Norco) in early September and barley survived with four doses of Narcan and a Narcan drip while in Intensive Care for 48 hours. She received 10-days of in patient psychiatric therapy after her OD but now refuses all treatment of any kind.

She is lucid at times and is very clear that she understands the consequences of not eating or drinking. Hospice Care (end of life care) had provided home care at times and has said death was imminent on two occasions. But, each time she regains her mental capacity, starts eating and drinking and saying she does not want to die. That lasts for a week or so but then she goes back to no food or liquid.

We have discussed her end of life wishes and she is adamant she wants no extraordinary life saving, or prolonging, efforts. She is also morally opposed to suicide. My brother, sister, niece, and her cousin have all killed themselves in the last two-years and she was very expressive with her disapproval. She says she does not want to kill herself but at times does say she is too tired to continue.

But - I wonder why does she start eating and drinking when she is close to death? Does she really want to die?

She asks for food but when I prepare her favorite things she hands them back and says "you need it - we don't have enough for both of us" or "I want to share with you so eat this". We are now and have always been very well off financially and our pantry is always over stocked with all her favorite foods. I show her the pantry and refrigerator contents but she tells me that is not real. At other times she refuses to talk for days at a time and just stares at the food.

I am at a loss as to how to care for her - she seems to understand the consequences of not eating but I am also convinced most of the not eating is due to confusion and her thinking we can't afford food.

Here in the states - there is almost no family support for these problems - I can place her in a "memory care" facility or hire a care giver to help at home but I can't seem to find any way to get her medical care, and am not sure if it would help. She is under the care of a neurologist and psychiatrist but both say she is uncooperative and there is nothing they can due to help.

Her advanced medical directives prevent me or hospice staff from taking any steps to prolong life so I have no idea how to move on from here. It seems all I can do is sit and wait for her inevitable death.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@OldTiredSailor Welcome to Talking Point, you will find lots of empathy and support here. I cannot give you any advice but i wanted to let you know how profoundly sad I am to read what you are going through.
Unfortunately I do not understand the US medical system however you could try contacting the Alzheimer's Association @ www.alz.org. I believe that they have support groups in many areas of the US.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Dear! @OldTiredSailor What a sad and sorry situation for both you and your wife.

I have no idea how to move on from here.

I don`t think it`s a case of moving on, it`s more a case of accepting what it is.

Have you tried leaving what you think is some of her favourite foods, finger food which can be eaten cold, at any time? I would not refer to it, just leave it in the kitchen in the hope she might be tempted.

OldTiredSailor

Oct 19, 2022
She asks for a specific dish and I put it in front of her. She then, most often, says "No - you need to eat this" and pushes it away. If I try to leave it in front of her she gets very agitated. She only lives on the sofa and toilet - she will not walk anywhere else in the house. She refuses to come into the kitchen. She is a superb chef and nutritionist and used to take great pride in her cooking. Now she won't consider anything to do with the kitchen. I try all her favorite snacks, meals, dishes and most of the time she says "I don't need it" or "You need to eat this" or "Maybe I will eat it later." But, she hates to see food anywhere near her if she is not eating. Much of the time - my presenting food to her upsets her. When she does request something she usually then tells me she changed her mind as soon as I start preparing it. I don't want to let her starve but I can find no way to encourage her eating. It is very frustrating.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Howterribly sad, sounds very difficult.
Who has diagnosed her with dementia? Without doubt it sounds like she has some profound mental health issues, but not really shouting dementia to me

Jessy82

Mar 15, 2021
@OldTiredSailor I look after my mum full time, and we have this problem with food , she says "no, you have it" I think this stems from being a mother and provider for her children, she wants Me to eat well. I do her really healthy meals, that she says looks lovely, but "I can't eat that" what seems to work with mum is I'll say , OK we'll share it, I'll have half and you have the other half, at least she is eating half the plate.

I also find she eats better when we go out for a meal, sat at a table, and I say it's all payed for mum, I often say the same at home" it's all payed for, or such a body bought us this" I think my mum had issues with food in the past which I never noticed then, but have become more pronounced with dementia, she has a guilt over eating, thinking back I barely remember my mum eating a full plate of food, just picking at food. But if I say it's payed for or it's free, she will clean her plate. May be this also stems from not having much as a child , having a very poor upbringing. But we manage to struggle through. I feel for you oldtiredsailor.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello again @OldTiredSailor

Do you think your wife would share your food if it was presented to her as a shared meal?

Being a food and nutrition professional could possibly cause this total confusion with the need, the value and the use of food.

I really think this needs help from a mental health professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harrymarshallbrooks@gmail