Walking Aid

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
For some time now my husband has had a bad knee which seems to be getting worse but it is difficult to tell. When he was in hospital I was told it was quite common with dementia patients. I think they said they would not be able to do anything about it as the trauma of an operation could make the dementia worse which I can believe. To be honest, I was in such a state in that meeting I didn't take all of that in.

My husband has always scorned any type of walking aid so I haven't mentioned it before but his walking is now very slow and he can't walk very far. This afternoon he said he wanted to go for a walk but it was very cold and kept raining so I put him off and explained he would get very cold because he couldn't walk as fast as he used to.

I was amazed when he suggested some sort of walking aid so he could go out for walks more often. However, I have no idea how to start. Do we go the GP first and would he refer us to somewhere else? Or is it up to me to try and find something suitable?

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
For some time now my husband has had a bad knee which seems to be getting worse but it is difficult to tell. When he was in hospital I was told it was quite common with dementia patients. I think they said they would not be able to do anything about it as the trauma of an operation could make the dementia worse which I can believe. To be honest, I was in such a state in that meeting I didn't take all of that in.

My husband has always scorned any type of walking aid so I haven't mentioned it before but his walking is now very slow and he can't walk very far. This afternoon he said he wanted to go for a walk but it was very cold and kept raining so I put him off and explained he would get very cold because he couldn't walk as fast as he used to.

I was amazed when he suggested some sort of walking aid so he could go out for walks more often. However, I have no idea how to start. Do we go the GP first and would he refer us to somewhere else? Or is it up to me to try and find something suitable?
Contact your surgery and ask if they have a physio who can assess your husband's walking and recommend the safest and most appropriate walking aid. Don't just go out and by something on wheels as some people tend to fall very easily if they can't use them properly.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
Contact your surgery and ask if they have a physio who can assess your husband's walking and recommend the safest and most appropriate walking aid. Don't just go out and by something on wheels as some people tend to fall very easily if they can't use them properly.
Thank you - that is very useful. I was thinking a walking stick may help him but wasn't too sure. I will check with the surgery tomorrow.

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
Thank you - that is very useful. I was thinking a walking stick may help him but wasn't too sure. I will check with the surgery tomorrow.
Hopefully they'll get him something suitable, if they recommend but can't supply one, try your local Age UK charity shop as they may have a supply you can choose from.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
Hopefully they'll get him something suitable, if they recommend but can't supply one, try your local Age UK charity shop as they may have a supply you can choose from.
Thank you. That's been a great help. I will start looking into it tomorrow.