Urinary incontinence

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
I have a question.
Husband is now living in a dementia nursing home. He has settled well.
On Saturday a nurse told me he was urinating everywhere and wouldn’t keep the pads on. This is a new development . If I had pull ups at home could I bring them in and they could try them whilst waiting for the incontinence team to contact them.
I took a packet of pull ups in today, gave them to a different nurse, explained the Saturday conversation and she told me that the incontinence advisory service no longer supply pull ups, only pads.
Is this true and is it something that I am expected to provide?
Thanks everyone.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Skylark/2, I am so glad your husband has settled well I am sure that is a huge relief to you. The incontinence service in Surrey definitely only provide pads but I think some self funders do choose to purchase pull ups.
Do you think your husband is trying to regain continence because that tends to be a bit messy. My husband is now totally continent again having been totally incontinent. In the middle bit I often found damp pads just dropped. I think when he went to the lou with his mobility problems he couldn't manage stick,trousers,pad etc.
I still take a pull up in if we are going to the hospital as he can be pretty urgent.
I am afraid you will have to buy your own pull ups.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi @Skylark/2
I think this depends where in the country you are. Our area does not provide pull ups, and yes the family have to provide them. I was only hearing a moan about it this morning. I personally think this is awful, especially if a care home is requiring that the person needs them.
im not sure if there is anything you can do, but I would be asking for pads to be retried again from time to time so that your not buying them in finitum

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Thank you for your replies.
next question
Where is the cheapest store/on line to buy pull ups please.
Totally agree with you sdmhred and thank you for advice.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I use Aldi pull ups. The design at the moment is the same as Tena. Pullups. They have the anti leak frill around the leg which I find works well. We only get occasional leaks at nights.The legs holes are not to high so they are a good fit.

I have tried Morrisons and Home Bargains own brands and by comparison the fit is not as good in my opinion for a full bladder empty.

Aldi is good and much cheaper at £3.89 for 9 pads for medium and 8 for large . Will also cope with my OH bowel incontinence.

We have Tena provided by NHS ,I use Aldi if I need extra

Last edited:

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Not sure of the situation now, but 2 years ago Bucks would provide either pull-ups, or slips, but not both (I used slips at night, pull-ups during the day.) I ordered Vivactive ones online in bulk, as our local supermarket didn't keep much stock and I wasn't able to leave PWD to go further afield.
(I only learned about NHS provision just before PWD died, and had first delivery 5 days after her death.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Story