Questions About Dementia - my husband is in deniaL

Deeds

Feb 6, 2024
Central Virginia
I must be dense. 😞 I tried to get going with this back in Feb but gave up. I just don’t understand the system of “10 posts before I can reply”. Spent forever trying to find the same page that is on the videos where you post. Just now, I stumbled on the forum I used back in Feb and saw an option to post so here I am. 😊

Now my questions is WHAT do I post? If it is not a conversation, do I just mention 10 different problems we are having? Do I ask 10 questions? Do I just give more historical information on what is going on here? Should I just call the “help” number and see if they can explain. It must not be a big issue because thousands are using this forum. I just need to find a way to get on board. Deeds
(Maybe I should add that I am 80 and NOT the most technologically savvy person in the world.)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I wondered if any of the videos would be of help -

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When somebody joins they are a 'New member' and have restrictions making it harder to post links because they may lead to unwanted sites.
After 10 posts on the forum they become a 'Registered member' and restrictions are removed.

If a 'New member' quotes a post containing a link the post is blocked and they get 10 post message.
To overcome this when replying to a post containing a link instead of clicking on 'Reply' they can just type in the empty text box at the bottom of the page and click on 'Post reply'

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
I must be dense. 😞 I tried to get going with this back in Feb but gave up. I just don’t understand the system of “10 posts before I can reply”. Spent forever trying to find the same page that is on the videos where you post. Just now, I stumbled on the forum I used back in Feb and saw an option to post so here I am. 😊

Now my questions is WHAT do I post? If it is not a conversation, do I just mention 10 different problems we are having? Do I ask 10 questions? Do I just give more historical information on what is going on here? Should I just call the “help” number and see if they can explain. It must not be a big issue because thousands are using this forum. I just need to find a way to get on board. Deeds
(Maybe I should add that I am 80 and NOT the most technologically savvy person in the world.)
Hello and you made it this far so ask whatever you want to ask about or vent. I first logged in a year ago or so, but didn't start using the forum until this Spring. People here are very welcoming and supportive.
Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Deeds

Feb 6, 2024
Central Virginia
Today has been better here than most days. Spring is awesome in central va right now. Taking a long walk in the park (by the river, through the woods and through the meadow) is a wonderful way to do an attitude adjustment when patience is running thin and frustration is rampant!

Deeds

Feb 6, 2024
Central Virginia
Current question: do dementia sufferers frequently resort to “whistling” throughout the day when they have never been whistlers before (he is 79)?

Deeds

Feb 6, 2024
Central Virginia
The only activity my husband currently enjoys is playing a card game called skip-Bo. He has lost the ability to play any of the other card games, dominoes, back gammon, etc. But even though he has lost the focus of the game, he can still keep the order of the cards played correctly and we can stumble through. We play music from the past while playing and he frequently sings along. This all sounds well and good EXCEPT that this is his favorite activity…we play at least 2 hrs every single day and 5 hours some days. He would play more if I could make myself do it…..but I simply cannot. His second favorite activity is to “run the channels” on TV and only stop on the commercials. Life is a challenge.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Deeds
You have made 12 posts.
Member status should soon update.
You may be able to 'Reply' to posts containing links, if not status should soon update.

EDIT
You are now a 'Registered member'.

Last edited:

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
The only activity my husband currently enjoys is playing a card game called skip-Bo. He has lost the ability to play any of the other card games, dominoes, back gammon, etc. But even though he has lost the focus of the game, he can still keep the order of the cards played correctly and we can stumble through. We play music from the past while playing and he frequently sings along. This all sounds well and good EXCEPT that this is his favorite activity…we play at least 2 hrs every single day and 5 hours some days. He would play more if I could make myself do it…..but I simply cannot. His second favorite activity is to “run the channels” on TV and only stop on the commercials. Life is a challenge.
Could you get anyone else involved in the card game? Any neighbour or friend? It seems like he currently enjoys it a lot especially with music that he can sing along to. For you it must be monotonous especially with the channel hopping to commercials..

Deeds

Feb 6, 2024
Central Virginia
Could you get anyone else involved in the card game? Any neighbour or friend? It seems like he currently enjoys it a lot especially with music that he can sing along to. For you it must be monotonous especially with the channel hopping to commercials..
Thanks for responding. He will not let but one of my friends play with us and he will not even consider doing ANYTHING with anyone, anytime without me. We have no relatives close by - only son is 2000 miles away and comes here once a year. I have worked out being away for a few hours just for me every other week but otherwise I am pretty much a captive here. He has become very controlling… I allow it because of the peace it keeps. Simply do not deal well when he is angry or upset.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

Welcome back. I am 80 years old too but having been using technology for a long time but, it all changes so fast that things trip me up too. My advice would be to ask questions when you need to, join in a thread when you feel you have something to offer or have a rant when you feel you need to let off steam.

Deeds

Feb 6, 2024
Central Virginia
Welcome back. I am 80 years old too but having been
Welcome back. I am 80 years old too but having been using technology for a long time but, it all changes so fast that things trip me up too. My advice would be to ask questions when you need to, join in a thread when you feel you have something to offer or have a rant when you feel you need to let off steam.
Thanks so much for responding. You hit the nail on the head….I can do what I can do….it is the new stuff and the changes that get me. I will go back to the issues I had when I first started…. My husbands denial and lack of a diagnosis is still my biggest problem. Thanks again. Deeds