Therapy Dogs and Alzheimer's

Hel71

Jun 19, 2023
Hi, my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last week, and I'm currently researching lots of things that can help her.

I have a registered therapy dog and the charity visits schools, hospitals, universities, work places and care homes etc. My mum loves seeing my dog, and it really cheers her and brightens her day. Is this something that's recognised for those with Dementia? (thinking more in small groups rather than one on one) How could I get involved with my dog?

I'm in the North East of England, and am sharing a photo just because!.

Attachments

• Uniform.png
    Uniform.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 117

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum's nursing home has had visits in the past from a dog and I think a shetland pony - some loved it, others not so much. I'm not sure on the exact rules and regulations but perhaps contact local homes and have a chat. I used to take my own dogs in to see mum (not therapy dogs) and some of the residents loved to "chat" with them and make a fuss - so yes I do think it is a good idea for people with dementia.

Good Luck

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Lovely dog! What a great service he provides. It's good of you to want to get involved. Sorry I can't tell you how to go about it. Just wanted to say great idea and good luck to you and your mum. I couldn't live without my dog! She's great therapy for me.

Hel71

Jun 19, 2023
Mum's nursing home has had visits in the past from a dog and I think a shetland pony - some loved it, others not so much. I'm not sure on the exact rules and regulations but perhaps contact local homes and have a chat. I used to take my own dogs in to see mum (not therapy dogs) and some of the residents loved to "chat" with them and make a fuss - so yes I do think it is a good idea for people with dementia.

Good Luck
Thank you! Love the idea of a pony too..

Hel71

Jun 19, 2023
Lovely dog! What a great service he provides. It's good of you to want to get involved. Sorry I can't tell you how to go about it. Just wanted to say great idea and good luck to you and your mum. I couldn't live without my dog! She's great therapy for me.
I have seen how much enjoyment people get from the dogs, all they do is stroke and pet them for a period. I'm expecting to get invited to some local Alzheimer's groups soon so will ask there.

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
Mums home has a therapy dog group come in occasionally and they also don't mind family members bringing in their dogs as long as they're well behaved and are up to date with their flea treatment. The dogs that is, not the family members :)

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Hi, my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last week, and I'm currently researching lots of things that can help her.

I have a registered therapy dog and the charity visits schools, hospitals, universities, work places and care homes etc. My mum loves seeing my dog, and it really cheers her and brightens her day. Is this something that's recognised for those with Dementia? (thinking more in small groups rather than one on one) How could I get involved with my dog?

I'm in the North East of England, and am sharing a photo just because!.

Last edited: