Research study: your thoughts on the dementia and cancer sub-forum

LizTravis

Feb 16, 2024
Leeds
www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Hello,

I am a researcher at Leeds Beckett University. I am keen to hear your feedback on this sub-forum ‘Caring for a person with dementia and cancer’.

I would like to know if any of the support and advice on the forum has helped you in any way. I would also like to hear your suggestions for ways we could improve the forum.

I am keen to hear from anyone who has visited the forum, including people who post, people who read posts, and people who do both.

Please consider sharing your feedback in a short online or telephone interview (15 mins), arranged at a time to suit you. Please contact me, Liz Travis if you would be interested in taking part Email: l.travis@leedsbeckett.ac.uk. Phone: 0113 812 2149

Thank you for taking the time to read my message,

Liz

damaris

Feb 17, 2017
This is a very important forum for anyone going through the great difficulty of caring for someone with cancer and dementia. Sadly my mum has since passed but I would have really benefited from this forum during the awful days of dealing with her hospital appointments and subsequent mastectomy.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thank you for sharing your feedback @damaris, and I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. Thank you so much for sharing your experience of the dementia and cancer sub-forum regardless, and for saying that you would have benefitted from it earlier in your mum's treatment. It's very much appreciated.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
If anyone else would like to share their thoughts on this sub-forum, please feel free. We'd like to know if any of the support and advice you've received on this sub-forum has helped you in any way. We'd also like to hear your suggestions for ways it could be improved (we won't be offended!)

Just to reiterate that Liz is keen to hear from anyone who's visited here, including people who post, people who read posts, and people who do both.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi Liz, this forum has been the most important place of support and information for me. I would have been alone and ill equipped withoiut it. I would be happy to contribute. My available days are Monday and Tuesday.

LizTravis

Feb 16, 2024
Leeds
www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Hi Liz, this forum has been the most important place of support and information for me. I would have been alone and ill equipped withoiut it. I would be happy to contribute. My available days are Monday

Hello.

I am so pleased that the forum has been of great support to you. Would you be free tomorrow to speak? If you could send me your email address we could do this via MS Teams?

Thank you so much. My email is l.travis@leedsbeckett.ac.uk

RuthS

Apr 14, 2024
Hi, not sure if I am posting correctly, but my Dad has dementia and cancer. Up until now, we have been coping, but Dad has just had some treatment, which has really affected his dementia and at the moment, we are not sure we are going to get him back to a functioning state. Anyway, I was looking for help about the interaction between cancer drugs and dementia, since, as things stand at the moment, we would be very reluctant for Dad to have any more treatment, without knowing the likelihood of the effect on his dementia. Any help / advice would be welcome. In the meantime, I will keep searching. Thanks, Ruth

PS. I've just posted on the other forum about cancer and dementia, as I've not used one of these forums before and I'm not really sure what I am doing!

LizTravis

Feb 16, 2024
Leeds
www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
We are keen to hear your feedback on the sub-forum ‘Caring for a person with dementia and cancer’.

We would like to know if any of the support and advice on the forum has helped you in any way. We would also like to hear your suggestions for ways we could improve the forum.

We are keen to hear from anyone who has visited the forum, including people who post, people who read posts, and people who do both.

To consider sharing your feedback via a short online survey, please scan the QR code using your phone

QRCode for An evaluation of an online peer support dementia forum.png

Alternatively, you can provide your feedback via an online or telephone interview (15 mins), arranged at a time to suit you. Please contact Liz Travis if you would be interested in taking part Email: l.travis@leedsbeckett.ac.uk. Phone: 0113 812 2149

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Anybody not using a phone and using a windows system with google as default search can:

right click image | search image with google | click 'website' (or 'URL if you want to keep the link) in resulting side pane

this will give
2024-05-24_170841.png

EDIT
Or just click here

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi @LizTravis I have experience of both dementia and cancer - but not combined - so haven't had to use this sub-forum myself, but I also visit Macmillan forums and they have quite a few resources relating to supporting someone with cancer and dementia. Their information also includes links to Alzheimer's Society factsheets and resources (as per the links below), and also to this Forum, although there is an out of date reference to the 'Talking Point' forum and the link doesn't work (see second link below).

As with dementia, there are quite a few different types of cancer and treatment options, so not all information/resources will apply to everyone, but as Macmillan are directing people to here perhaps it might be helpful for members here to be directed to Macmillan resources too? Also, perhaps someone could let Macmillan know that their link to this Forum is out of date?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer...ntia/treating-cancer-in-someone-with-dementia

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/supporting-someone/cancer-and-dementia