Popped in for a visit and then helped bath mum!

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
I popped into visit Mum in her care home yesterday, took in some Xmas cards for her and thought we’d be having a chat.
She wasn’t great, v tired looking and v anxious.
They had a letter for her so I went to get it and the Senior said they’re having trouble getting her to bath (again) and could I have a chat to her about it. No probs I thought. In the meanwhile i didn’t know that the carers had run her a bath and as I sat down to talk to her they came to assist her to the bathroom. They got her there but as soon as they started to undress her she went mad, shouting at them and telling them where to go! She said she’d let me do it.
It took three of us in the end between washing her and keeping her calm. She was in a real pickle in the water, saying that she was cold but then not wanting to be too far in the water. I’m not going to lie it was hard work.
Afterwards, I dried and curled her hair with her tongs she was fine. Said she felt much better.
I couldn’t help but think after, that it would have been nice if the carehome had given me a bit more notice about the bath situation. I didn’t realise I’d literally be doing it. Had a heavy jumper on and was sweating lol!
On a positive note mum was in much better form when I left and she looked more herself, all clean and hair done. The whole personal care thing really is such a challenge with dementia.

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
I sometimes go in and shower mum as she can really kick off. She doesn’t mind me doing it… and if she feels safer I don’t mind. I usually end up soaking wet from the knees down though! Lol

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
I sometimes go in and shower mum as she can really kick off. She doesn’t mind me doing it… and if she feels safer I don’t mind. I usually end up soaking wet from the knees down though! Lol
Yes I did feel like I’d had my own wash too lol!