My Father refuses to close the bathroom door when using it.

Alex2266

Apr 6, 2022
My father, who is in his 80s with late-stage Alzheimer's, always goes to the bathroom and leaves the door wide open. Why does he refuse to close the bathroom door? Is this part of the disease? He is not claustrophobic and closes doors at other necessary times but does not close the bathroom door. Explaining why he must close the bathroom door when using it is exhausting... My father has always been a womanizer with narcissistic tendencies. My mom went through so much with him while raising his kids. (me included). He sometimes listens to other matters like eating, taking medicine, etc. Most of the time, I go after him and close the bathroom door myself. Frustrating.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Pick your battles carefully and this one's not worth fighting. If he's using the bathroom correctly and you're near, just turn around and walk away.
As his Alzheimer's progresses, you'll find that you have far bigger battles on your hands and you'll loose most of them.

Alex2266

Apr 6, 2022
Pick your battles carefully and this one's not worth fighting. If he's using the bathroom correctly and you're near, just turn around and walk away.
As his Alzheimer's progresses, you'll find that you have far bigger battles on your hands and you'll loose most of them.
Thank you for your wise words. It is a lot of work, and I respect those who do it like me. Thank you again.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinaRose