Mother in Law undiagnosed

DIL14

Mar 25, 2024
Hi, I'm new to this group and not sure if it's ok to post because my mother in law has not been diagnosed with dementia; however, my gut is telling me that she is in the beginning stages. She is 80 y ears old and recently started demonstrating some unusual aggressive/odd behaviors. We thought she had a UTI, but was dx with kidney stones. Also, has an appt with a neurologist soon which may uncover some of the unknowns. What my husband and I are currently dealing with is how to handle some of these behaviors which have been at times scary. She left the house (her husband lives with her and they have a very volatile relationship) claiming that he is abusing her (emotionally/physically), trying to poison her, etc. Since we are not in the home we cannot support or dispute the situation. We strongly feel that while they do not have a good relationship, that abuse to that level is not occurring. Other behaviors that are out of character include her yelling, swearing, extreme paranoia. My husband and I have always had a good relationship with her but most recently she has turned on both of us. In my opinion, she has always had some level of mental illness, but it has now progressed to severe - not sure if dementia enhances existing mental illness or not. I'm posting here because I'm at a loss of what to do. Any advice would be helpful.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @DIL14 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum which is for anyone who has questions and concerns about dementia, whether diagnosed or not. It is difficult to be definitive about this, but what you describe certainly seems to point towards possible dementia. The best way forward will be to proceed with any medical appointments both to rule other things out and (potentially) to get a diagnosis. There's a lot to think about and fortunately a great deal of experience to draw on here. It may help to have a scan through the extensive material produced by the Alzheimer's Society. See the link below. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions as we will do our best to answer.