Money bequests in a will

57sue

Feb 9, 2024
Hi
My mum is in a care home - self funded. Dad died awhile ago. Mum has left my 2 daughter’s £40000 each in her will. My question is will her wishes be honoured because of her self funding predicament? Or will the money be used up down to the £23,500 allowance? I have LPOA Is there anything I can do. Thank you

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Wills do not kick in until after the person is dead. Until then it is her money and will be assessed as required (including £23k limit) . What is left , on her death is her estate. That is what can be divided between the heirs . They probably will get much less

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Wills are made with assumptions about how much will be left in the estate when a person dies. The cost of funding care can dramatically reduce that. If your mum doesn't have that money left by the time she dies, your daughters will just get a share of whatever remains.

And no, there isn't anything you can do. It sucks, doesn't it?

57sue

Feb 9, 2024
Wills do not kick in until after the person is dead. Until then it is her money and will be assessed as required (including £23k limit) . What is left , on her death is her estate. That is what can be divided between the heirs . They probably will get much less
Thank you for your reply.

57sue

Feb 9, 2024
Wills are made with assumptions about how much will be left in the estate when a person dies. The cost of funding care can dramatically reduce that. If your mum doesn't have that money left by the time she dies, your daughters will just get a share of whatever remains.

And no, there isn't anything you can do. It sucks, doesn't it?
It certainly does suck. Thanks for replying