Loss of Balance

muir36

Apr 29, 2014
Husband has been dizzy and lost his balance for a week now. Was at A&E for 6 hours a week ago and they did lots of tests but couldn't find anything wrong. Is this part of dementia journey?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It could be. The most obvious reason for this is an inner ear infection, or some other problem with the inner ear, but I would have though A&E would have checked for this.
If its been checked and there is nothing wrong with his inner ears, then it could be the dementia. My FIL got what was thought to be an ear infection and was dizzy, but it turned out to be vascular dementia.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Did they check for a TIA (mini Stroke) especially if his dementia is vascular. They would need to do a CT or MRI but they might think the tests too distressing.

muir36

Apr 29, 2014
Did they check for a TIA (mini Stroke) especially if his dementia is vascular. They would need to do a CT or MRI but they might think the tests too distressing.
They did mention about a mini stroke but would have to do an MRI and didn't do this. Sent letter next day to doctor,don't know what was in it. Got call from surgery saying doc wants a BP appointment - this is at the beginning of March. Don't know what I am supposed to do meantime.

muir36

Apr 29, 2014
It could be. The most obvious reason for this is an inner ear infection, or some other problem with the inner ear, but I would have though A&E would have checked for this.
If its been checked and there is nothing wrong with his inner ears, then it could be the dementia. My FIL got what was thought to be an ear infection and was dizzy, but it turned out to be vascular dementia.
Thank you. Yes they did check his ears.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
They did mention about a mini stroke but would have to do an MRI and didn't do this. Sent letter next day to doctor,don't know what was in it. Got call from surgery saying doc wants a BP appointment - this is at the beginning of March. Don't know what I am supposed to do meantime.
I am afraid you will have to watch your husband closely for further dizziness and if you think its worse phone your surgery. They must have picked something up with the BP to check.
It sounds like your husband has good awareness of how he is feeling which is a help

muir36

Apr 29, 2014
I am afraid you will have to watch your husband closely for further dizziness and if you think its worse phone your surgery. They must have picked something up with the BP to check.
It sounds like your husband has good awareness of how he is feeling which is a help
Thank you will keep a close eye on him

Anil

Nov 5, 2022
Husband has been dizzy and lost his balance for a week now. Was at A&E for 6 hours a week ago and they did lots of tests but couldn't find anything wrong. Is this part of dementia journey?
The other possibility is the drugs he is on especially if the dose has been increased or a new one added in

muir36

Apr 29, 2014
That's one of the things I was thinking. He seems to be on a lot of BP tabs and has been on all of them for a few years now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980