Is this usual?.

stoo79

Dec 9, 2023
Hello my name is Stuart and I am my mums main carer , she has Alzheimers in Dementia. Mum has recently been extremely more confused than usual , she has just gotten over a chest infection but has been taking omeprazole for over a month due to acid reflux problems , could it be that the omeprazole is making her more confused?. Or is it a natural decline from her Dementia , the change has happened pretty quickly , mum has tried various dementia medications in the past but suffered side effects , memantine is the only one left but after reading some really bad reviews about that drug we both decided with the doctors input aswell that we should let things progress naturally but this sudden decline is really worrying me. Any help much appreciated. Thank you. P.S nice to be part of this support group also.

Last edited:

ladydawny

Dec 9, 2023
This may not help but the NHS side effects page names a few things depending on how long she has been on it. nhs.uk/medicines/omeprazole/side-effects-of-omeprazole/ (not allowed to link)
Bear in mind the magnesium and the B12 interfering with memory.
God bless you. Hope the reflux gets better.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
The chest infection may well have made her more confused, this is quite common. Once the infection has cleared she may or may not improve a little. My mum has reached the stage where, due to the stage of dementia and overall health, each infection, illness or fall she experiences just knocks her a bit further down hill. I hope she does improve.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @stoo79 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum which is a great community of people who know a great deal about dementia. You can ask questions, join conversations, share your story, or let off steam, knowing that people here really understand.

I am sorry to hear about your mum. Sometimes it takes a while for a person with Alzheimer's Disease to get over an infection or other health issue and they may bounce back. But it is a progressive disease and that might be the cause of increased confusion. It can be difficult to tell although if the worsening confusion is prolonged this might suggest the progress of dementia.

stoo79

Dec 9, 2023
This may not help but the NHS side effects page names a few things depending on how long she has been on it. nhs.uk/medicines/omeprazole/side-effects-of-omeprazole/ (not allowed to link)
Bear in mind the magnesium and the B12 interfering with memory.
God bless you. Hope the reflux gets better.
Thank you :)

stoo79

Dec 9, 2023
The chest infection may well have made her more confused, this is quite common. Once the infection has cleared she may or may not improve a little. My mum has reached the stage where, due to the stage of dementia and overall health, each infection, illness or fall she experiences just knocks her a bit further down hill. I hope she does improve.
Sorry to hear that , respect to you and your loved one , Thank you for the reply :)

stoo79

Dec 9, 2023
Hi @stoo79 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum which is a great community of people who know a great deal about dementia. You can ask questions, join conversations, share your story, or let off steam, knowing that people here really understand.

I am sorry to hear about your mum. Sometimes it takes a while for a person with Alzheimer's Disease to get over an infection or other health issue and they may bounce back. But it is a progressive disease and that might be the cause of increased confusion. It can be difficult to tell although if the worsening confusion is prolonged this might suggest the progress of dementia.
Thank you for your input and for your best wishes. :)