Increased agitation whilst on Oramorph .

DeniseF

Apr 1, 2023
Hi mum is on END of life care tho she is still eating and drinking, is on no medications now apart from Paracetamol.
She has been prescribed Oramorph for pain which we have started to give her but her agitation has increased from 0 to 10 almost overnight has anyone else found this ? .
Thankyou

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @DeniseF welcome, although I'm sorry to hear about your mum. My mum was put on Oromorph for a short time several years ago and it made her very drowsy/sleepy, but not agitated. Medication can effect people in different ways though so I'd suggest calling the out of hours GP or 111 to get professional advice as it may be that your mum's dosage needs reviewing/adjusting. Hope this helps.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
@DeniseF it probably depends on the dose and frequency.
My Patsy is prescribed it for her COPD (Certainly not EoL) and is strength 10 mg/5 ml takes 2.5 mg 4 times a day, eases her breathing but as @Louise7 says it makes the patient drowsy.
You must get the strength and dosage reviewed urgently!

You also said 'We have started to give her' if you are administering a morphine derivative, Take Care.

Colin.

DeniseF

Apr 1, 2023
Hello @DeniseF welcome, although I'm sorry to hear about your mum. My mum was put on Oromorph for a short time several years ago and it made her very drowsy/sleepy, but not agitated. Medication can effect people in different ways though so I'd suggest calling the out of hours GP or 111 to get professional advice as it may be that your mum's dosage needs reviewing/adjusting. Hope this helps.
Hi ,Thanks for your kind reply we have contacted Gp awaiting a callback today .