Improvement in capacity since being in care home

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
My mum’s been in a care home for about three months now. Before that she was in hospital for seven weeks. She seemed so ill at home some days I didn’t think she had much longer and her capacity was severely reduced along with poor appetite and strange behaviour. Now she’s in a care home she has improved so much and even seems a bit like her old self. She has vascular dementia diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Is this normal for things to improve?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If she was living alone then it can be difficult to stay motivated when it comes to cooking for one, take it from me. It's nearly the same as cooking for 2 or 3.
Shopping is the same, you just buy smaller packs and less of some things, still the same walk to and round the shops and there isn't a cup of coffee waiting for you when you get home, you have to make that too.
K

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
My mum has been in her care home about a year now, and I think she is much better in herself now than when she was at home. I think being alone was probably boring, de-motivating and sometimes frightening for her, and that now there are people around all the time she tends to seem brighter in herself.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
She lived with my dad but he wasn’t coping and her personal care had really gone downhill and she wasn’t motivated to do anything. He was practically forcing her to eat and drink and she wasn’t really talking or wanting to see friends and was starting to have continence issues. Now she seems a different person. I just hope the social worker doesn’t think she’s well enough to go home as she’ll just slip back to how she was

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
The clue to this is in the title of your post. She has improved since being in a care home. It is logical to conclude that it is the care home that has made the difference. Taking her out of that environment would certainly make things worse. One would hope that any social worker would know this but if not you can make that argument.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
My mum’s been in a care home for about three months now. Before that she was in hospital for seven weeks. She seemed so ill at home some days I didn’t think she had much longer and her capacity was severely reduced along with poor appetite and strange behaviour. Now she’s in a care home she has improved so much and even seems a bit like her old self. She has vascular dementia diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Is this normal for things to improve?
Exactly what happened to my father, a few weeks in, his skin condition had gone, a little weight put on, he looked better than he had done for years.
The Home had been able to medicate him properly, with his skin cream, at home he wouldn't allow any cream to be used, regular food made a real difference as well.

Bod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980