Ideas to help a person with dementia to feel in touch with family and friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Do you have tips to help a person with dementia to feel in touch with family and friends that we could share in the next issue of our magazine?

An article in the latest Dementia together magazine features ideas to keep in touch - through technology and otherwise - as well as ways to help feel connected to family and friends.

Add your comments (and any pictures!) below or email magazine@alzheimers.org.uk by end of 4 January. Thanks everyone :)

DTMOctNov22_activity_h.jpg

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My PWD loves telephone calls from family members. Unfortunately he rapidly forgets that they have spoken and feels that no one cares for him.
Telling old family stories and reminiscing helps to maintain a feeling of connection.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We started using video calling during covid and now mum receives a FaceTime most evenings from my siblings. She gets a little agitated when it rings, but smiles as soon as she sees a familiar face. As primary carer I also appreciate seeing and hearing them. She does get stressed when they ask her what she has done that day (clearly can’t remember). I keep meaning to tell them to ask what have you enjoyed that day? I do that and then get a sense of what is important to her even if the event hasnt actually happened!!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My late husband's auntie always used to write letters to update him on family news and what was happening back home in Scotland. She would also also regularly post him a copy of the local paper and, if she went on any trips, she would send him a postcard from wherever she was, even if it was just a day trip.

This really helped my husband feel connected to his family and he could re -read the letters, postcards and snippets from the newspapers (which quite often featured friends and family) whenever he wanted.

He appreciated this kind of old-fashioned communication far more than anything attempted over the computer. He did enjoy phone calls but, in time the conversations became fogotten, so writing letters was the best option. Just having a letter drop through the letter box with a Scottish post mark was enough to make him feel happy and connected.

Once he started to struggle with reading I would read the letters and newspaper snippets to him, which he really enjoyed.

Last edited:

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
During Covid, when we couldn't visit, I used to email a photo with a little narrative underneath to the Care Home. They used to print them out, chat to Mum about them and put them up on Mum's bedroom wall.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
How does that work? I have echo dot and it reminds Pauline to take meds but other than that to listen to the radio.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
We'll be closing this thread at the end of today - thank you to everyone who contributed their ideas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdickson3012