I am taking part in the Ben Nevis Climb...

claireybray123

Mar 12, 2009
Warwickshire, UK
I have a website address www.justgiving.com/poppyswalk

Does anyone have any ideas for fundraising. My ideas are currently...

1. Write to football teams and companies and ask for items to raffle / auction off to be donated

2. Ask people to fill smartie tubes with 20p's and send them to me.

3. Car boot sales etc with donated goods

Does anyone have any ideas how else I could raise some money towards my climb. I would love to smash the minimum £500!

I am walking in memory of my grandfather who I called Poppy - hence the name Poppy's Walk. He died last December after a 6 year battle with dementia.

Thanks - hope you have some ideas!

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Heather,

I wish you all the best on the Ben Nevis Climb.

Head Office sent me information on Fund Raising.

On one of our Fund Raising do's at our locel Branch we had a stall where children could put there own toppings on their fairy cakes. It was very profitable.

Best wishes
Christine

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Claire

I recently trekked the Sahara desert for AS and so have a little experience of raising money.

The Smarties idea is really good, as is the idea of writing to supermarkets, football teams, hotels, restaurants, cinemas, hairdressers, beauty salons etc. for prizes for a raffle.

We did a raffle at one of our quiz nights - all the prizes were donated inlcuding a framed signed Wigan RL shirt, which was a big attraction in Wigan!

We raised quite a lot of money through 2 quiz nights. The first was held in a licensed bar, but the second we did in an unlicensed village hall and sold our own alcohol. You have to get a licence from the Local Authority for the night, but it's not difficult. Just make sure you have plenty of people on hand to serve drinks, wash glasses and take the money. We made a big profit on that, although we only bought wine online from a well-known supermarket (who also do free glass hire) and sold it at less than pub prices.

I did a car boot and had AD balloons tied to the car, AD t-shirts on and information about my trek. The organisers were great and let me have the site for free, but most of the punters were just looking for a bargain and couldn't give 2 hoots for charity. Very depressing. Example £40 pair of shoes, never worn, price still on the bottom - I asked for £2 and punter asked if I would take £1.50. :eek::mad: I told her to get on her bike ... or words to that effect... ;)

Have AS sent you all the fund raising ideas and legal tips? If not I think you can download them from the main site. They include sample letters when asking for prizes, and rules about raffles and so on.

Have you included a reference to your Just Giving page in the signature of your emails? I found a lot of people sponsored me this way.

Good luck with your fundraising and let me know if I can help in any way.

claireybray123

Mar 12, 2009
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for your brilliant replies - it's nice to get some advice!:)

I was wondering - just to put it out there for comments, would anyone be more likely to sponsor if I was to wear a t-shirt on the climb with your loved ones name on... for example - you sponsor £3 and I will add your relative / friends name onto my shirt to wear during the climb - effectively climbing on their behalf?

Just another idea I had!!:D

I'm finding people are not very forthcoming with donations - it seems you have to give them incentives to sponsor which is a shame. :(

Thanks!

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb