Hair Drier requirements/recommendations

Mayhew

Feb 28, 2024
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, I'm new. My gran has Alzheimers, however she is still in the situation where she prefers to do a lot of personal care and grooming by herself. She recently left her hair drier on, and lying on the carpet. By the time this was noticed, everything was red hot. We are looking at getting her a new hair drier but I wanted to make sure that it was suitable. I have been 'requirements gathering' and so far I have the following:
- temperature based cutoff (or even a time based cutoff?)
- light enough to use, less than 0.5 kg
- easy to work - as few switches as possible
- a standard hairdrier shape - she probably wont immediately recognise a brush style drier.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Does anyone have any recomendations?

Thank you!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All hair dryers have some sort of safety thermal cut out but correct operation means a high temperature, probably higher than you want.
If the intake or outlet were blocked the temperature should reach cut of point, if thermal trip it will reset on cooling, if thermal fuse it's a repair job.

There are some hairdryers with a button that has to be held depressed when dryer is used, expect a determined PWD to experiment with sticky tape or rubber bands to defeat this!

>>>this<<< range includes models with 'Push and hold button to operate' buttons,
before buying check that it is what I think it is - a 'dead man's handle'.

There are probably others maybe aimed at professionals who want to leave the setting the same and just switch on and off.

Mayhew

Feb 28, 2024
All hair dryers have some sort of safety thermal cut out but correct operation means a high temperature, probably higher than you want.
If the intake or outlet were blocked the temperature should reach cut of point, if thermal trip it will reset on cooling, if thermal fuse it's a repair job.

There are some hairdryers with a button that has to be held depressed when dryer is used, expect a determined PWD to experiment with sticky tape or rubber bands to defeat this!

range includes models with 'Push and hold button to operate' buttons,
before buying check that it is what I think it is - a 'dead man's handle'.

There are probably others maybe aimed at professionals who want to leave the setting the same and just switch on and off.
Brilliant, this is really useful! Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If you go for a timer check the specification, some hairdryers draw a lot of current and make sure it has an earth wire too not all do from the look of it.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you go for a timer check the specification, some hairdryers draw a lot of current and make sure it has an earth wire too not all do from the look of it.
K
Most hairdryers in common with small electric items are double insulated and neither need or have an earth connection.
Look for
225px-Double_insulation_symbol.svg.png

or (extremely unlikely on hair dryer, included for completeness)
qe7Zr.png

on label.
Second icon is for double insulated with functional earth, a terminal for connection to external earth for electrical noise reduction.