Estimate cost of at home care re: family payments

OnwardsUpwards

Apr 23, 2021
Can anyone give me a rough idea per hour please of the cost of at home care? Such as cleaning, cooking, shopping, personal care, washing etc.

It’s to try and calculate an informal gratuitous family payment fairly - I understand knocking off 20% in lieu of contributions.

My initial thought was national minimum wage but a quick Google suggested £25 per hour!

Was just hoping someone had experience that might help, either in terms of the family payment or actual costs.

We have claimed attendance allowance, but the local authority do not contribute to care as they feel the situation isn’t bad enough 😳

Thanks in advance

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
£25 per sounds about right but please also be aware that you could be considered to be employing the person depending on the circumstances. In that case you would have to register them for tax purposes etc.

OnwardsUpwards

Apr 23, 2021
£25 per sounds about right but please also be aware that you could be considered to be employing the person depending on the circumstances. In that case you would have to register them for tax purposes etc.
Thanks, I am amazed it’s as high as that but I suppose paying private there are on costs and admin added on top of the wage.

I have looked into it and it wouldn’t be classed as employment in this case, according to the OPC practice notes on family care payments, but thanks for the heads up.

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
Hello ... in my experience that's a long list of care 'wants/needs' you mention - ' ... such as cleaning, cooking, shopping, personal care, washing etc.' - to be wrapped up in a charge of £25.00 per hour. Personal care alone may be £25.00/hour; shopping on the other hand could be £10.00/hour plus petrol if driving. Local cleaners charge from around £15.00/16.00/hour but could be more if the degree of cleaning required is greater. Is cooking 'home cooking' or a Wiltshire Farm Foods ready meal placed in the microwave then served? Much might depend on the quality of 'home cooking'.

OnwardsUpwards

Apr 23, 2021
Hello ... in my experience that's a long list of care 'wants/needs' you mention - ' ... such as cleaning, cooking, shopping, personal care, washing etc.' - to be wrapped up in a charge of £25.00 per hour. Personal care alone may be £25.00/hour; shopping on the other hand could be £10.00/hour plus petrol if driving. Local cleaners charge from around £15.00/16.00/hour but could be more if the degree of cleaning required is greater. Is cooking 'home cooking' or a Wiltshire Farm Foods ready meal placed in the microwave then served? Much might depend on the quality of 'home cooking'.
Thanks, hadn’t thought about that but it’s a good point. Much appreciated.

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Care company I use charge more at the weekend and bank Holidays, also add a travel/fuel charge so can be upto £30 per hour.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I think there is a difference between paying a care agency and employing someone direct, the figures of £25 to £30 are what a care agency would be paid.

The carers employed by the care agency will receive much less and I assume you are really looking at what the carer gets paid.

Sometime ago I employed a cleaner direct and I paid her slightly above the minimum wage, I understand that most agency carers get around or just above minimum wage so this might be a starting point for you as this is what you would pay if you employed a carer direct.

OnwardsUpwards

Apr 23, 2021
I think there is a difference between paying a care agency and employing someone direct, the figures of £25 to £30 are what a care agency would be paid.

The carers employed by the care agency will receive much less and I assume you are really looking at what the carer gets paid.

Sometime ago I employed a cleaner direct and I paid her slightly above the minimum wage, I understand that most agency carers get around or just above minimum wage so this might be a starting point for you as this is what you would pay if you employed a carer direct.
Thanks, that was my initial feeling.