Early on set diagnosis at 60 and 3 years later in denial still

Leanne1982

Dec 24, 2023
Hi all, my mum is 63, was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s nearly 3 years ago… lost her care job a year later along with driving licence. Totally In denial from the start and still is. Never taken her medication. Blames me and my sister for getting her diagnosed. She lives alone no partner. She still can dress herself. Totally muddled with everyday life, bills etc. never had review with GP since amd young support/ mental health worker discharged her 2 years ago. So just left coping, my question is if my mum did have me she would be in a mess. I’m starting to struggle myself and wonder if anyone in same position of family not accepting there diagnosis. ?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Leanne1982 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about the difficulties that you are facing because your mum is not accepting her diagnosis. This is quite common unfortunately. It might be a good idea to contact her GP to explain the position and request a review of her needs although she might not agree to see her doctor.
You also sound as if you are finding things difficult - if you have not already done so please contact your local authority to arrange a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for yourself. If you can get some help with looking after your mum it might take some of the strain off you, again this will depend on your mum accepting the help, but I think that you should explain to her that the help is not just for her but to help you also.
I have attached a link which might be useful for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alix0463