Dysphagia- can infection/pain make it worse?

Catherine277

Jan 24, 2024
My Dad was recently in hospital with aspiration, he was making gurgling noises and holding food in his mouth.
The SALT team assessed him and he is now on a puréed diet.
Unfortunately he is back in hospital again, he has kidney issues that have sped up the deterioration of his Alzheimer’s, and they uncovered a huge abscess on his kidney that is being drained. Because of this, he’s on IV antibiotics and fluids… and his appetite has improved! He’s also not been making noises when eating, and he seems to be swallowing a lot better now.

I’m wondering if infection and pain can make dysphagia worse? And if he needs to be on puréed foods? We’re on a waiting list now for the community SALT team to come back and check on him, so until then don’t feel we can just change his diet without support.. but we’re just left a little confused (as we always are with this cruel disease).
Wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences?

Side note: so many times in hospital his meds have been left on the side for him to take himself (which he obviously can’t do!!) and they keep giving him in tablet form!! Despite us consistently saying he has liquid medication - because he is on a puréed diet!!! The care people with dementia receive in hospital is just so poor and heartbreaking, they have no voice and consistently forgotten about.
Sending love to any of you feeling helpless too xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Catherine277

Yes, infections of any sort are renowned for making dementia symptoms worse. They then improve as the infection goes.
Im so sorry that your dad has a kidney abscess, but Im glad they have found it and are treating it.

With regard to the liquid medication - speak to one of the doctors so that it can be changed on his records. Only a doctor can change it - the nursing and HCA staff can only give what is on his MARS chart.

Catherine277

Jan 24, 2024
Hello @Catherine277

Yes, infections of any sort are renowned for making dementia symptoms worse. They then improve as the infection goes.
Im so sorry that your dad has a kidney abscess, but Im glad they have found it and are treating it.

With regard to the liquid medication - speak to one of the doctors so that it can be changed on his records. Only a doctor can change it - the nursing and HCA staff can only give what is on his MARS chart.
Thank you for your reply @canary

He’s had so many infections over the years that we’ve definitely seen make the dementia worse. I just didn’t quite think it could cause the dysphagia! I imagine once he no longer has the antibiotics.. it could get worse again 😢

Thank you for the advice, we were told today it’s a lack of communication and staff not handing things over or inputting the info on the system. But we are definitely speaking to the doctor about it tomorrow. It’s happened during a previous hospital stay too, just disheartening to keep going through the same things that adds to the stress.