Dad with recent Alzheimers diagnosis

Nicw007

Feb 8, 2024
Hi I’m Nic and I have a sister Sarah.
Our mum has been in a care home since November receiving end of life care for terminal cancer. Her body is failing and she is bed bound, but her mind is strong.
In addition our dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in November and is at home alone and deteriorating, so I’ve taken time off work to find out how best we get support for him while mum is still with us to encourage him.
It’s a difficult time and it’s early stages. We’re starting with Attendance allowance, activity groups to get dad some routine, a gardener and maybe a cleaner. Any suggestions welcome 🤗

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi I’m Nic and I have a sister Sarah.
Our mum has been in a care home since November receiving end of life care for terminal cancer. Her body is failing and she is bed bound, but her mind is strong.
In addition our dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in November and is at home alone and deteriorating, so I’ve taken time off work to find out how best we get support for him while mum is still with us to encourage him.
It’s a difficult time and it’s early stages. We’re starting with Attendance allowance, activity groups to get dad some routine, a gardener and maybe a cleaner. Any suggestions welcome 🤗
have you got both power of attorney?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Nicw007.

I’m sorry to read about your mum and also your dad. Such a hard time for you all.

I wondered if you have any outside care support for your dad. If not have a look at this link -

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Nicw007

In addition to the steps you`ve taken your dad is entitled to a 25% discount on his council tax

A PoA would really help you make decisions and your mother may agree to that.

Also ask for an assessment of needs for your dad and a carers assessment for yourself.

Nicw007

Feb 8, 2024
Welcome to the forum @Nicw007.

I’m sorry to read about your mum and also your dad. Such a hard time for you all.

I wondered if you have any outside care support for your dad. If not have a look at this link -
We haven’t done that yet, thank you for the link 🙂

Nicw007

Feb 8, 2024
Welcome @Nicw007

In addition to the steps you`ve taken your dad is entitled to a 25% discount on his council tax

A PoA would really help you make decisions and your mother may agree to that.

Also ask for an assessment of needs for your dad and a carers assessment for yourself.

[URL
Thank you ☺️