Court of Protection re Gratuitous Family Care Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

creative-carer

Aug 10, 2017
www.creative-carer.com
I have an Enduring Power Of Attorney registered in 2016 with the Office of Public Guardian. My partner and I are full time carers for my mum who has Mixed Dementia and requires 24hr care. I have no siblings and am the sole beneficiary of her will. I have reduced my hours at work and my partner who was made redundant decided to help me care for mum instead of getting back into work. I promised her and my stepdad that I would look after her at home and I know 100% this is in her best interest but I worry that something untoward may happen in the future and she may need nursing care. My mum has some savings and a small flat that we have put up for sale when we moved her into our home after my stepdad passed away 3 months ago. This means if ever she did need to go into care she would be self funding. I do not want to be accused of Deprivation of Assets but financially we are struggling and I understand that I should be able to pay my partner £1500 / mnth gratuitous care payment and also take some money for my mum's contribution to bills & food. I contacted the Court of Protection to ask if I could do this and they said I needed to "put these payments on a solid footing" by coming back to them with completed forms cop1, cop1e,and cop24 & the court fee of £385. I have printed off the forms but they seem very complicated ... has anyone experience in filling these forms out and can help me please? Thank you.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I have an Enduring Power Of Attorney registered in 2016 with the Office of Public Guardian. My partner and I are full time carers for my mum who has Mixed Dementia and requires 24hr care. I have no siblings and am the sole beneficiary of her will. I have reduced my hours at work and my partner who was made redundant decided to help me care for mum instead of getting back into work. I promised her and my stepdad that I would look after her at home and I know 100% this is in her best interest but I worry that something untoward may happen in the future and she may need nursing care. My mum has some savings and a small flat that we have put up for sale when we moved her into our home after my stepdad passed away 3 months ago. This means if ever she did need to go into care she would be self funding. I do not want to be accused of Deprivation of Assets but financially we are struggling and I understand that I should be able to pay my partner £1500 / mnth gratuitous care payment and also take some money for my mum's contribution to bills & food. I contacted the Court of Protection to ask if I could do this and they said I needed to "put these payments on a solid footing" by coming back to them with completed forms cop1, cop1e,and cop24 & the court fee of £385. I have printed off the forms but they seem very complicated ... has anyone experience in filling these forms out and can help me please? Thank you.

Hi have you got a CAB near you,I wonder if they could help you,I'm not sure if it's something they see on a regular basis so perhaps could help if it's a decent CAB,I hate form filling

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thank you. Its just getting the time to go to CAB ... I cant leave my mum or take her ... but I will try calling them :)

Hi the CAB should be able to visit you in your home,others on here have had that service

Local Citizens Advice offer advice from over 3,500 locations. These include high streets, community centres, doctors' surgeries, courts and prisons. Advice may be given in person or by phone. Most local Citizens Advice can arrange home visits and some provide email advice.
Our advice for you - Home - Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/

Katykartweel

May 5, 2020
Hiya, did you get anywhere with your application? My partner and I are in a similar position and am hoping to learn from others’ experiences in making a Court of Protection application for gratuitous care payments. Thank you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hiya, did you get anywhere with your application? My partner and I are in a similar position and am hoping to learn from others’ experiences in making a Court of Protection application for gratuitous care payments. Thank you.

Hi @Katykartweel.

This is quite an old thread and the original poster hasn’t been on the forum since February 2019. I see that you’ve posted elsewhere on the forum but it might be helpful for you to start a thread of your own so that more people will be able to see your questions.

You might consider starting a thread - perhaps in the legal and financial area of the forum -

Status
Not open for further replies.